Virtual Volumes (vVols) was designed to solve a lot of the pain points VMware and/or storage admins face today. VMware partners with various storage partners to provide the management component of vVols, the VASA Provider. Recently Pure Storage introduced vVols support for their FlashArray All-Flash-Array with its Purity 5.0.0 operating environment. This highly anticipated addition to the Virtual Volumes partner program includes the latest VASA certification providing support for array-based replication.
This week on the Virtually Speaking Podcast we bring in one of the industry’s most authoritative vVol subject matter experts Cody Hosterman from Pure Storage. Cody shares with us the many benefits of using vVols regardless of your storage vendor and also shares some feedback from his most recent vVol customers.
- vVols on Pure Storage Flash Array
- Introducing Virtual Volumes on Pure Storage Flash Array
- Cody Hosterman’s Blog
Regardless of your storage vendor, Pure Storage’s Cody Hosterman has authored an abundance of Virtual Volumes educational content.
- Introducing vSphere Virtual Volumes on the FlashArray
- Oracle and FlashArray Virtual Volumes
- vVols: A Whole New World for SQL Server Virtualization
Deep Dive Blog Posts:
- What is a vVol Datastore?
- Moving from an RDM to a vVol
- Comparing vVols to VMDKs and RDMs
- vVol Data Mobility: Data from Virtual to Physical
- Do thin vVols perform better than thin VMDKs?
- What is a Config vVol Anyways?
- vVol Bindings Explained
- Importing a vVol Snapshot with PowerCLI
- Recovering a Deleted Virtual Machine with vVols
- Queue Depth Limits and vVol Protocol Endpoints
- Getting Started with vRealize Orchestrator and vVols
Also New from Pure Storage for VMware:
VMware Validated! SDDC 4.1 with Pure Storage
This certification is based a VMware Validated Design, which provides an extensively tested blueprint for customers to confidently build out their VMware private cloud using the VMware platform and the FlashArray All-Flash-Array. The reference architecture with Pure is delivered through VMware’s certified integration partners.
ActiveCluster support with vSphere Metro Storage Cluster
We’re all super excited to see ActiveCluster released with Purity 5.0. Now we include support with VMware’s Metro Storage Cluster to deliver an end-to-end availability solution from VM to storage leveraging Pure synchronous replication, active/active stretch cluster, and VMware HA for customers who demand zero RPO and RTO.
The Virtually Speaking Podcast
The Virtually Speaking Podcast is a weekly technical podcast dedicated to discussing VMware topics related to storage and availability. Each week Pete Flecha and John Nicholson bring in various subject matter experts from VMware and within the industry to discuss their respective areas of expertise. If you’re new to the Virtually Speaking Podcast check out all episodes on vSpeakingPodcast.com.