As modern demands overwhelm hardware-centric infrastructure, traditional data centers are shrinking. Amid the upheaval, there’s a huge opportunity for IT organizations to find an approach that benefits the entire business.
If your IT team is like most, you need an infrastructure that’s agile enough to keep up with swiftly moving technology and growing user demands, without being cost-prohibitive. Many enterprises are moving toward hyper-converged infrastructure (HCI) to get the results they want—but why are they choosing this approach?
These factors will influence the future of your data center
Five major trends are playing a key role in shaping the direction your data center will evolve to in the future. Let’s take a closer look:
- Spike in all-flash adoption. All-flash technology is taking over. Why? Not only is it more affordable than spinning-disk storage, it’s also smaller and more reliable. And that helps organizations take new technology mainstream, making it a valuable part of a future-proof infrastructure.
- Shift toward DevOps. Legacy infrastructure relies heavily on silos, which places an enormous burden on IT and restricts collaboration between developers and operations teams. HCI helps break down silos and eliminate complex processes for faster provisioning and better visibility.
- Software-defined everything. Virtualization is playing a big part in the future of work. Software-defined compute, storage, and networking pave the way for greater levels of speed and flexibility while lowering costs. That’s why many organizations are on the journey to the Software-Defined Data Center (SDDC).
- Cross-cloud expansion. Between public, private, and hybrid cloud environments, cross-cloud expansion is becoming an increasingly popular way to manage workloads.
- Advanced automation required. With the right automation tools, you can eliminate error-prone manual tasks, freeing up valuable time to spend on more strategic initiatives.
Move forward with confidence
Now that you know what to expect, you can develop a plan that will lead you in the right direction. The right HCI solution can help you navigate these changes expertly, without losing momentum in a fast-paced market.
VMware is the market leader in powering hyper-converged infrastructure, enabling the lowest-cost and highest-performance next-generation HCI solutions available today.
Find out more in the Trend Brief 5 Data Center Trends to Expect in 2017.