VMware Cloud on AWS GovCloud(US) is a jointly engineered secure, scalable cloud service that brings VMware’s Software-Defined Data Center software to the AWS GovCloud(US) regions. Last year was a wonderful year for VMware Cloud on AWS GovCloud(US). There were lot of key capabilities added to the service. Also VMware Cloud on AWS GovCloud(US) achieved FedRAMP High Authorization.
Since the launch of the service, every quarter, we have been adding new features to the service based on requirements of our Government customers. In this blog, let’s look at some of the key capabilities that got released in VMware’s Fiscal Year 2022′ Q4
- Regional expansion to AWS GovCloud US-East region: Since the launch of VMware Cloud on AWS GovCloud (US), this hybrid cloud service has been helping Federal, state and local government agencies in their digital transformation initiatives. And today, we are announcing regional expansion of VMware Cloud on AWS GovCloud (US) service to the AWS GovCloud US-East region. This will bring the availability of the service to both AWS GovCloud regions – GovCloud (US-West) and GovCloud (US-East). This gives US public sector customers additional geographic choice and disaster recovery options for sensitive data and workloads while meeting US government security and compliance requirements.
- 2-Host i3en.metal clusters: Now, customers can deploy 2-host i3en.metal clusters as the primary cluster within an SDDC as well as secondary clusters within an existing SDDC. Secondary 2-host i3en.metal clusters support custom core counts of 16, 24, 30, 36, or 48.
- 1-1-1 Stretched Clusters: Customers who want highly available and resilient infrastructure for their mission critical applications can start small with this smaller Stretched Cluster configuration and then they can scale as needed. Customers can now deploy a 2 host Stretched Cluster. With 1 host in both AZs and a managed witness in the third, the cluster can survive the loss of an entire AZ. This powerful capability enables business-critical applications within VMware Cloud on AWS without rearchitecting for AWS Availability. With 1 host per AZ, vSAN depends on the Dual Site Mirror for resiliency and therefore comes with a 99.9% availability guarantee. This can be increased to 99.99% at any time by scaling up to a 6-host cluster. Please note: If a 2-host stretched cluster is scaled out to a 4+ hosts for any reason, it cannot be scaled back down.
- VMware Site Recovery availability in GovCloud(US-East): VMware Site Recovery is available for GovCloud(US-West) region since last year. It enables US public sector agencies to protect and migrate their workloads to FedRAMP compliant AWS GovCloud regions in the US. The service automates workload recovery in a DR event between on-premises data centers and VMware Cloud on AWS GovCloud(US), as well as between different instances of VMware Cloud on AWS. Built on top of enterprise-grade DR tools (VMware Site Recovery Manager, vSphere Replication) and AWS GovCloud(US) West region, the service provides an end-to-end disaster recovery solution that is quick to deploy and leverages existing know-how. Now, with the availability of VMware Cloud on AWS GovCloud(US) in AWS GovCloud(US-East), VMware Site Recovery is also supported in this new region.
To view the latest status of features and release updates for VMware Cloud on AWS, visit: https://www.vmware.com/products/vmc-on-aws/govcloud.html.
The following capabilities are available today: Regional expansion to AWS GovCloud US-East region, 2-Host i3en.metal clusters, 1-1-1 Stretched Clusters, VMware Site Recovery availability in GovCloud(US-East)
For more information about VMware Cloud on AWS GovCloud (US), pricing, and to get started please visit https://www.vmware.com/products/vmc-on-aws/govcloud.html or contact your VMware or AWS sales team.
- View the latest status of features in the public roadmap
- Learn more about the offering by reviewing the service description
- Learn about key features and capabilities in the solution brief
- Watch the VMware Cloud on AWS GovCloud(US) on-demand webinar
- Catch up on prior announcements: