VMware has created several solutions to meet the needs of today’s changing businesses. The VMware Business Process Desktop (BPD) is a solution designed specifically to address the trend toward business process outsourcing. As businesses look for ways to reduce costs, business process outsourcing has become more and more popular. For example, it has been well documented that many companies have outsourced their development and testing to locations such as India and China, where labor rates are lower. However, there can be problems with this strategy as data is often stored locally and is at risk for security breaches. In addition, developers and testers often aren’t located on-premise, leading to even more potential security threats.
The BPD solution combines VMware View with other components to help solve these security issues, providing a highly scalable, secure, centrally managed VDI environment. However, in the past, customers were unable to deploy VDI with real-time Unified Communications (UC) due to technical problems affecting scalability, performance and bandwidth.
VMware is pleased to announce that a partnership with Avaya discussed earlier this year at VMworld in August has now come to fruition. Back in August, we talked about the growing market for UC and VDI and the challenges of addressing the need for real-time unified communications in a VDI environment. We also talked about how Avaya and VMware were working together to solve this problem.
Now, with Avaya VDI Communicator, VMware and Avaya have extended the BPD solution to give businesses the ability to use real-time communications in a VDI environment. This opens the door to a whole new world of increased productivity for businesses that take advantage of the benefits of a BPD solution. These benefits include:
- Reducing operating costs by centralizing and streamlining desktop management and support
- Providing uninterrupted uptime across remote locations to drive higher SLAs
- Rapidly scaling to accommodate changing needs or new client contracts
- Enhancing data security and compliance by centralizing data in the datacenter
As the leading provider of contact center infrastructure, it only made sense that Avaya team with VMware to enable this capability. However, the benefits of real-time voice in a VDI environment aren’t limited to just contact centers. VDI with real-time voice support is also ideal for environments where:
- There is a structured task (e.g., bank tellers or help desks)
- Only a limited application set is required (e.g., kiosks or travel agents)
- The use of temporary workers or contractors is needed (e.g., project oriented workers)
- Real-time communications in a highly secure environment is needed (e.g., government or financial verticals)
As part of VMware’s BPD solution, businesses of all sizes can take advantage of a proven, pre-tested, pre-configured, reliable architecture to meet their unique needs. In addition to Avaya, VMware also supports VDI with real-time voice with Cisco and Mitel unified communications solutions as well.
To learn more about VMware’s Business Process Desktop solution, click here.
To see Avaya’s blog post, click here.