We are excited to announce the general availability of VMware Cloud Flex Storage—a new VMware-managed and natively integrated disaggregated storage service for VMware Cloud on AWS.
This new cloud storage service enables customers to elastically scale storage on VMware Cloud on AWS. Customers with storage-bound workloads can now provision storage on-demand without adding hosts. VMware Cloud Flex Storage is delivered as an end-to-end managed service experience that is operationally simple for customers, where capacity can be provisioned with a few clicks from the VMware Cloud Services Console. Customers also benefit from a simple and predictable pay-as-you-go consumption model.
VMware Cloud Flex Storage is built on a mature, enterprise-class file system that has been developed and production-hardened over many years, dating back to Datrium’s DHCI storage product, which VMware acquired in July 2020. It is the same file system that has been backing the VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery service. This file system has a two-tier design that allows for independent scaling of storage performance and capacity.
Longer-term, our vision for VMware Cloud Flex Storage is to deliver an enterprise-class storage and data management as-a-service for the multi-cloud. We plan to support a broad range of workloads by enabling multi-dimensional scaling of compute, storage performance, and storage capacity—while delivering a seamless and consistent data management experience across clouds.
- Scale SDDC storage independently with NFS datastores, powered by the Scale-out Cloud File System that is fully-managed by VMware and natively integrated into VMware Cloud
- Provision up to ~400TiB of storage capacity with ~300K IOPS per file system, which provides always-on data services such as at-rest encryption, deduplication, compression, and data integrity checks
- Achieve a storage SLA of 99.9% availability within an AWS availability zone and with high levels of data durability due to regional S3 replication
- Deploy datastores in a few clicks with a simplified workflow, without requiring networking or firewall configurations
- Consume on-demand or with a term subscription billed at a cost-effective and predictable $/GiB rate that is ideal for storage-bound workloads