VMware vSAN Powered by HCI Leads the Market in Q1, 2021 According to IDC
Once again, VMware vSAN powered Hyperconverged Infrastructure (HCI) Systems lead the overall market for the Q1 of 2021, according to the IDC Worldwide Converged Systems Tracker. Despite a challenging first quarter, overall market revenues grew by 4.9% year over year, while VMware HCI revenue grew 40% faster than the overall market.
IDC Data Shows HCI Systems Powered by VMware are #1
The IDC Converged System tracker reports that systems running VMware vSAN HCI leads Q1 2021, accounting for 43.5% share of the market revenue, higher than the next four companies combined. Additionally, systems running VMware HCI grew revenues at 6.9% year over year, greater than the overall market growth rate of 4.9%. VMware believes this is impressive given the challenging environment many organizations are facing.
We are excited to see our customers embrace HCI as mainstream datacenter architecture. With more than 30,000 customers, including a majority of Global 2000, VMware HCI powered by vSAN is the industry’s most adopted HCI solution. We believe IT teams of all sizes increasingly adopt VMware powered HCI because it prepares organizations for growth with accelerated storage operations and a seamless path to hybrid cloud.
Why Customers Continue to Choose VMware vSAN
While there are many reasons why customers choose vSAN as their HCI software, VMware wanted to highlight three reasons why we believe systems running vSAN continue to make it a popular choice: deployment flexibility, delivering developer-ready infrastructure, and a path to the hybrid cloud.
Industry Leading Deployment Flexibility
VMware provides the broadest choice of deployment options for HCI including:
- VMware partners uniquely on Dell EMC VxRail, a jointly engineered solution with Dell. Exclusive VxRail HCI System Software innovation and investments in extensive VxRail test labs deliver a curated, turnkey system for a seamless, automated, operational experience at reduced risk for customers.
- Over 500 pre-certified vSAN ReadyNodes™ from all major server vendors for complete flexibility in aligning with customer’s vendor preferences and experiences. Customers can choose from compute-centric, storage-centric and balanced servers depending on workload requirements, with a variety of storage media from all-NVMe for performance to hybrid for cost-effectiveness.
- VMware offers a fully managed infrastructure-as-a-service on-premises with VMware Cloud on Dell EMC
- VMware partners with leading cloud providers to provide customers consistent infrastructure and operations from the private data center to the public cloud. The VMware HCI cloud ecosystem includes relationships with over +500 major cloud vendors, including all global hyperscalers such as AWS, Azure, Google, IBM, Oracle Cloud, and Alibaba Cloud.
Developer Ready Infrastructure
VMware vSAN is developer-ready infrastructure, enabling storage management of modern and traditional apps on a single platform with the same tools and skillsets. Here are some of the key achievements that make it easier than ever to build modern applications on VMware:
- The availability of Cloudian HyperStore and MinIO Object Storage on the vSAN Data Persistence platform, empowering efficient consumption of S3-compatible object storage on VMware HCI for your AI/ML and Kubernetes-based workloads. The result is that you can run modern stateful services with lower TCO and simplified operations and management.
- vSAN supports vSphere with Tanzu, a new generation of vSphere for containerized applications. This single, streamlined solution bridges the gap between IT operations and developers with a new kind of infrastructure for modern, cloud-native applications both on-premises and in public clouds.
- vSAN provides a native control plane for container persistent storage, enabling developers to seamlessly consume storage through existing tools while providing administrators with the governance and control needed through familiar VMware products – vSphere and vCenter.
- vSAN supports all storage primitives within Kubernetes, as well as read-write-many persistent volumes for cloud-native applications through native file services.
Seamless Path to Hybrid Cloud
VMware vSAN is a critical component of VMware’s infrastructure control plane from edge to core to cloud. VMware HCI supports both traditional enterprises and modern apps and provides a complete set of highly secure software-defined services for compute, storage, network, security, Kubernetes, and cloud management to increase enterprise agility and flexibility with consistent infrastructure and operations across private and public clouds.
Learn more about Why VMware HCI.
Learn more about VMware vSAN.
See how Cloud Native Storage in vSphere and vSAN powers modern applications.