VMware vSAN Powered HCI Systems Leads the Market in Q4, 2020, According to IDC
IDC Data Shows HCI Systems Powered by VMware are #1
IDC’s Worldwide Quarterly Converged Systems Tracker reports that total Q4 2020 sales of HCI systems running VMware vSAN software accounted for 38.7% of the global market revenue, greater than the next three companies combined. We believe IT teams of all sizes increasingly adopt HCI because it prepares organizations for growth with greatly simplified storage operations and a seamless path to hybrid cloud. Notably, the global external enterprise storage market revenue declined by 2.1% year over year at the same time as HCI’s continued growth, according to IDC’s Worldwide Quarterly Enterprise Storage Systems Tracker for Q4 2020.
VMware vSAN continues to grow through both expanding within our customer base and new customer acquisition – vSAN now has over 30,000 customers, with the majority of the Global 2000 using VMware HCI.
Why Customers Continue to Choose VMware vSAN
While there are many reasons why customers choose vSAN as their HCI software, we wanted to highlight three reasons why we believe systems running vSAN continues to make it the most popular choice: delivering AI/ML and developer ready infrastructure, deployment flexibility, and a seamless path to the hybrid cloud.
AI/ML and Developer Ready Infrastructure
VMware vSAN is an AI/ML and developer ready infrastructure, enabling storage management of modern and traditional apps on a single platform with the same tools and skillsets. Highlights of the past several releases include:
- The availability of Cloudian HyperStore and MinIO Object Storage on the vSAN Data Persistence platform, empowering efficient consumption of S3-compatible object storage on VMware HCI for your AI/ML and Kubernetes-based workloads
- Dynamic provisioning and non-disruptive resizing of persistent volumes for your stateful apps, with support for vSphere with Tanzu and all vanilla Kubernetes distributions
- Granular monitoring of Kubernetes objects in vCenter with health and compliance information on a container volume basis. Troubleshooting is made simple as IT admins and developers now talk in the same language.
Industry-Leading Deployment Flexibility
vSAN provides the broadest choice of deployment options for HCI including:
- Dell EMC VxRail™, a jointly engineered solution from Dell Technologies™ tailored for ease of deployment
- Over 500 pre-certified vSAN ReadyNodes™ from all major server vendors for complete flexibility in aligning with customer’s vendor preferences and experiences. Customers can choose from compute-centric, storage-centric and balanced servers depending on workload requirements, with a variety of storage media from all-NVMe for performance to hybrid for cost-effectiveness
- VMware also offers a fully managed infrastructure-as-a-service on-premises with VMware Cloud on Dell EMC
- VMware also partners with leading cloud providers to provide customers consistent infrastructure and operations from the private data center to the public cloud.
Seamless Path to Hybrid Cloud
VMware uniquely provides consistent, centralized management of all your HCI deployments from edge to core data center to public cloud with the same tools you already use, the vSphere Client and vCenter. No need to learn new tools. No re-factoring or re-writing of your applications is required. You can easily extend VMware HCI to all the global hyperscalers as well as hundreds of regional public cloud providers.
See how Cloud Native Storage in vSphere and vSAN powers modern applications.