Once again, VMware vSAN powered HCI Systems lead the overall market for the third quarter of 2020, according to the IDC Worldwide Converged Systems Tracker.
The tracker reports that systems running VMware HCI accounted for 40.2% share of the market, near a record high market share. Additionally, systems running VMware HCI grew at 4.9% year over year, greater than the overall market growth rate of .6%. VMware believes this is impressive growth given the challenging environment many organizations are facing. We believe IT organizations of all sizes have found that HCI presents a compelling investment opportunity, providing the ability to lower both CAPEX and OPEX while also providing a seamless path to digital transformation and adoption of hybrid cloud infrastructure. Notably, The external storage market contracted -1.4% at the same time as HCI’s continued growth, according to IDC’s Worldwide Quarterly Enterprise Storage Systems Tracker for Q3 2020.
IDC Data Shows HCI Systems Powered by VMware are #1
In the latest quarter, 3Q 2020, systems running VMware vSAN led the HCI market, with $821.1 million in revenue, up from $782.8 million the year prior. During the quarter, the HCI market grew at .6% year over year, but systems running vSAN grew at 4.9%, making vSAN a key driver of industry growth during a tumultuous time for HCI overall. vSAN has over 20,000 customers with the majority of the Global 2000 using VMware HCI.
Why Customers Continue to Choose VMware vSAN
While there are many reasons why customers choose vSAN as their HCI software, VMware wanted to highlight three reasons why we believe systems running vSAN continue to make it the most popular choice: deployment flexibility, support for cloud-native applications and a path to the hybrid cloud.
Recent VMware releases have moved VMware HCI from container-ready to developer-ready infrastructure: here are some of the key achievements that make it easier than ever to build modern applications on VMware:
- vSAN supports vSphere with Tanzu, a new generation of vSphere for containerized applications. This single, streamlined solution bridges the gap between IT operations and developers with a new kind of infrastructure for modern, cloud-native applications both on-premises and in public clouds
- The vSAN Data Persistence platform transforms how modern stateful services are deployed and managed in the private cloud. It provides a framework for modern stateful service partners to integrate with the underlying VMware infrastructure so that their software can run on VMware Cloud Foundation™ with VMware Tanzu™ optimally. The result is that you can run modern stateful services with lower TCO and simplified operations and management.
- vSAN provides a native control plane for container persistent storage, enabling developers to seamlessly consume storage through existing tools while providing administrators with the governance and control needed through familiar VMware products – vSphere and vCenter
- vSAN supports all storage primitives within Kubernetes, as well as read-write-many persistent volumes for cloud-native applications through native file services
Seamless Path to Hybrid Cloud
vSAN is a critical component of VMware’s infrastructure control plane from edge to core to cloud. vSAN enables consistent processes in a true hybrid cloud architecture; no application re-platforming required. Admins can use the same tools and processes used on-prem, eliminating training requirements and siloed teams and expediting time-to-value. vSAN’s leading cloud provider network, including the six largest public cloud providers, gives users the option to build a hybrid cloud with hundreds of public cloud providers, allowing users to select a vendor that meets their specific needs.
Industry-Leading Deployment Flexibility
VMware provides the broadest choice of consumption options for HCI including:
- Dell EMC VxRail™, a jointly engineered solution from Dell EMC™ tailored for ease of deployment
- New this year: Global Partner Appliances simplify the procurement, deployment and maintenance of hyperconverged infrastructure. This new and rapidly expanding category offers pre-installed VMware HCI software and pre-tested, pre-validated hardware. Plus, get integrated lifecycle management for hardware and software through VMware APIs. Global Partner Appliances also offer a single source of support and are built on powerful ReadyNode server platforms.
- Over 500 pre-certified vSAN ReadyNodes™ from all major server vendors for complete flexibility in aligning with customer’s vendor preferences and experiences. Customers can choose from compute-centric, storage-centric and balanced servers depending on workload requirements, with a variety of storage media from all-NVMe for performance to hybrid for cost-effectiveness
- VMware also offers a fully managed infrastructure-as-a-service on-premises with VMware Cloud on Dell EMC
- VMware also partners with leading cloud providers to provide customers consistent infrastructure and operations from the private data center to the public cloud
VMware HCI customers value the breadth of deployment options. Learn more about the HCI ecosystem.