VMware Named Leader in the IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Enterprise Mobility Management Software 2018 Vendor Assessment
We are pleased to announce that VMware has been named a Leader in the IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Enterprise Mobility Management Software 2018 Vendor Assessment (US43294018). This is the second year in a row where VMware was named a Leader.
With our AirWatch roots, it seems as though we’ve been in MDM and EMM forever, right? But mobile is still very relevant as organizations continue to leverage new devices and we are constantly evolving to meet new customer requirements. And with recent updates in iOS and Android, VMware has remained vigilant in supporting these OSes faster than other vendors.
With the release of iOS 11.3, we added support for iOS update deferments, a feature greatly in demand by customers. And with Google’s movement to deprecate “device administrator” mode and move fully to Android Enterprise as the default, VMware has stayed ahead of the pack in Android Enterprise support. In fact, Workspace ONE supports all the Android Enterprise solution sets. You can learn details on each profile in the blogs and videos below:
- Android work profile mode: for managing work apps on a BYO device
- Full managed device mode: for corporate-owned devices
- Dedicated devices: fully managed mode for single purpose (COSU) devices
Even with big changes in the mobile landscape, the EMM MarketScape covered a lot of PC management as well. The IDC MarketScape said of Workspace ONE, “it is among the most aggressive in terms of pushing UEM capabilities to the broadest set of users and challenging incumbent PC life-cycle management platforms for migration to UEM and modern management” and “is able to provide configuration and security settings across a range of devices, including Dell Chromebooks, and BIOS management on Dell PCs.”
If you are a Workspace ONE customer or you follow us, you know Windows 10 modern management has been a big focus. Under the Strengths section of the IDC MarketScape, Workspace ONE is called out for “strong features” in Chrome OS and macOS management as well.
To give some more detail for customers who support “Mac as Choice” programs, Workspace ONE has an efficient modern management approach as well as the ability to enable all corporate applications, including business-critical Windows applications, on macOS devices within a Workspace ONE app catalog with integrated single-sign-on. Workspace ONE macOS lifecycle management support includes:
- Over-the-air DEP enrollment
- Bootstrap packages that launch post-DEP to complete configuration of the device without time-consuming scripting and imaging
- Real-time policies, patches, and updates
- Complete native Mac application lifecycle distribution, including provisioning, deployment, updating, and retirement
- Workspace ONE app catalog for single location of SaaS, native macOS, internal web, and virtual Windows applications
- Integrated single-sign-on, including support for 3rd-party identity providers
- Device compliance, PKI certificate management, FileVault management, GateKeeper, etc.
Lastly, another item that was mentioned is Workspace ONE Intelligence, our new analytics service that aggregates and correlates data across devices, apps, users, and networks to provide insights and recommendations across your entire digital workspace. Customers also have the option of setting “Automations” that can take actions on correlated data triggers.
“VMware also recently acquired mobile app analytics vendor Apteligent to bolster this offering through new Workspace ONE Intelligence capability that provides app analytics along with UEM analytics and automated workflows.”
IDC Marketscape : Worldwide Enterprise Mobility Management 2018 Vendor Assessment
These Automations can be used to lower IT time and cost, improve security and compliance, and optimize user experience. For example:
- Monitor battery level, send email to purchasing once batter level hits 20% to avoid user disruption
- Identify provisioned applications not installed to the device or installed and not used for some period of time, alert Application team to reclaim and reuse licenses or purchase/renew fewer licenses
- Monitor device risk levels based on OS patch and BIOS version, Trusted Platform enabled, Secure Boot enabled, etc., and auto-quarantine devices as a certain risk score, while alerting the user of actions to take
These are just some examples of how Intelligence is a game changer, and it only gets more powerful the more devices that you have under Workspace ONE management! So start piloting those Windows 10 PCs and Macs to get modern over-the-air management (great for your remote and mobile workforces!) and take advantage of data analytics against your entire user base and device fleet.
To learn more about what the IDC MarketScape had to say about Workspace ONE, please download an excerpt of the report HERE!