With the recent release of the VMware Aria Operations for Applications product we have made some improvements to the Alert Targets Browser Page. Alert targets allow a user to specify when and how to send notifications. During an alert target creation, you can specify a webhook, an email address or a PagerDuty key in the target list. You can implicitly use built-in Aria Operations for Applications alert targets. These simple selections help in creating alert targets:
- Triggers cause notifications to be sent whenever the alert is firing, updated, resolved, snoozed, or in a maintenance window.
- Provide internal templates for the notification contents. For more flexibility, you can create custom alert targets that specify:
- Where to send notifications
- What kind of information
- Define a Notification format
- Which alert events should trigger notifications.For example, you could use a custom alert target to:
- Expand (or limit) the set of triggering events for notifications.
- Configure different contents for notifications triggered by different events.
- An interesting aspect of alert targets is being able to send notifications to different targets for different point tags, sources or metric values
- To send all alerts to recipients; Enter one or more email addresses in the Default recipient section.
- For e.g. – If source=host1, send an email to userA and userB.
- Routing allows you to specify key value pairs to decide who receives what data based on specified values.
- Routing can route the notifications based on metric, source, or a point tag keys
To learn about creating alert targets in depth checkout our detailed documentation.
Once you have created your alert targets you can:
- Search for and apply filters to the alert targets so that you can narrow down the results.
- Share, save and clear search results.
- Browse through a list of saved searches.
- Hide or show the filters and the saved searches list displayed on the left by clicking the Filters button.
- Sort the alert targets by last updated date or by target name in descending or ascending order.
- Hide or Show the details for all alert targets by turning on the Expand All toggle. By default, this setting is turned off.
- Show the details for a specific alert target by clicking the arrow next to the check box of the target.
- Edit, test, or delete a single alert target by clicking the ellipsis icon and selecting the respective option from the menu.
- Select the check boxes of multiple alert targets and delete them by clicking the Delete button.
- While every user can view alert targets, you must have the Alerts permission to create and manage alert targets. If you do not have the necessary permission, the UI menu selections, buttons, and links you use to perform management tasks will not be visible.
Now that we have looked at the Alert Target Improvements by VMware Aria Operations for Applications (Wavefront by VMware) we suggest you give this a try and report any suggestions and improvements based on your usage and provide feedback via official channels if any …! You can also learn more about other VMware Aria Operations for Applications features on TechZone !