The Oracle Cloud VMware Solution is a customer-managed, VMware Cloud Verified environment built on VMware Cloud Foundation (VCF). It comes with vSphere, VSAN, and NSX-T in-built, so integration with other VMware products is seamless
We tested and certified the Oracle Cloud VMware solution with vRealize Network insight / vRealize Network insight Cloud and covered the following use cases. All functionality should work as with any other VCF infrastructure, we only explicitly tested these
- Application Awareness: Discover, Plan Migration (with VMware HCX) and Day 2 Operations
- Security: Flow Visibility, Planning, and Firewall Rule Recommendations
- Alerts and Analytics: Pro-active Alerting, Top-talkers, Outliers, Dynamic Thresholds, Flows (including Latency)
- Dashboards: NSX-T Manager, vCenter, ESXi Hosts, VMs, Applications, and more
- Hybrid Network Troubleshooting:
- Inter SDDC Path
- SDDC to Internet
- On-prem to SDDC over Policy-Based VPN via NSX
- VMware HCX: Stretched L2 VLAN stitched flows
Integrating Oracle Cloud VMware Solution in vRealize Network Insight
- SDDC in Oracle Cloud VMware Solution with admin privileges
- vRealize Network Insight Cloud subscription / On-premises account with admin privileges
Deploying the Collector
Before deploying the collector, review the Oracle Cloud VMware Solution environment and keep the resources handy
Log in to Oracle Cloud Console and Software-Defined Datacenters under VMware Solution
Now Click on the compartments and choose the SDDC you want to add to vRealize Network Insight
Log in to vCenter, keep it open in a browser tab. We will need it in later steps.
- Log in to vRealize Network Insight / vRealize Network Insight Cloud with admin user
- Navigate to Settings > Install and Support > Add Collector VM.
- Copy the contents of the shared secret. Note: You will require this in later stage
- For vRealize Network Insight Cloud: Download the Collector OVA from the Add Collector VM wizard
- For vRealize Network Insight OnPrem: Download the Collector OVA from the my.vmware.com
- Now go back to the vCenter tab. Deploy the vRealize Network Insight Collector OVA, Use the shared secret that you have generated (From Step 3)
- Start the collector VM, follow the wizard to pair the collector with the platform.
- Validate that the collector pairs successfully with the platform.
After logging to vRealize Network Insight, go to settings –> Add Source –> Choose VMC – vCenter under VMware Cloud and add it.
Add the NSX-T Manager
Go to settings –> Add Source –> Choose VMC – NSX Manager under VMware Cloud
In the dropdown, choose Oracle Cloud VMware Solution, provide the username/password and click submit
Exploring Oracle Cloud VMware Solution entities in vRealize Network Insight
Sample Search queries
vcenter where VMware Cloud Type = 'OCVS' Host where VMware Cloud Type = 'OCVS' vms where VMware Cloud Type = 'OCVS' NSX Policy Manager where VMware Cloud Type = 'OCVS' Flow where Source VMware Cloud Type = 'OCVS' Flow where Destination VMware Cloud Type = 'OCVS'
vRealize Network Insight in Oracle Cloud VMware Solution environment makes a powerful combination to discover, manage & migrate applications, get 360-degree network visibility and finally secure it.
To elevate your overall Oracle Cloud VMware Solution experience with vRealize products, please read this blog post from @lefteris_marakas