VMware vRealize Operations’ self-driving functionality delivers continuous, intent-based performance optimization, efficient capacity management, intelligent remediation, and integrated compliance. These capabilities are powerful tools for IT teams who want to simplify and automate operations to deliver value to the business in the form of increased visibility, agility and efficiency, as well as lower costs and risk.
To help quantify the potential return on investment (ROI) enterprises may realize by deploying vRealize Operations, VMware commissioned Forrester Consulting to conduct a Total Economic Impact™ (TEI) study. The purpose of this study is to provide readers with a framework to evaluate the potential financial impact of vRealize Operations on their organizations.
Check out the full downloadable study here!
Summary of Benefits Quantified by the Forrester TEI Study
From in-depth interviews conducted with five customers across the globe, ranging from 3,000 to 100,000 employees, Forrester uncovered five primary benefit areas. The following risk-adjusted totals are representative of improvements observed by the study participants compared to the operations management tool(s) they were using prior to vRealize Operations:
- 30% improvement in operational efficiency
- 20% reduction in hardware costs
- 93% reduction in unplanned downtime
- 50% reduction in database management software licensing costs
- 500 TB reduction in storage needs
Based on these factors Forrester concluded the following three-year risk-adjusted results customers may realize from using vRealize Operations:
- 303% ROI
- <3-month payback
- $7.5M net present value (NPV)
Wow! These numbers are huge. (Check out the results from the 2016 vRealize Operations TEI study, in which Forrester interviewed a different group of customers primarily using vRealize Operations 6.3). It’s clear that the 303% ROI reported today speaks to a very strong realization of value from the product’s latest developments.
Let’s take a closer look at the specific value drivers our customers observed in the TEI study:
- A 30% productivity improvement from intelligent remediation, improved visibility, and faster reporting. Intelligent Remediation uses advanced analytics to correlate metrics and log data that predict, prevent, and troubleshoot virtual environments. The visibility into the performance, capacity, and configuration of the infrastructure — displayed in a unified dashboard — makes solving issues much faster.
- A 20% reduction in hardware cost savings. vRealize Operations’ realtime capacity optimization functionality uses predictive analytics to balance workloads, optimize density, and automatically avoid resource contention. Interviewees found that this functionality allowed them to right-size virtual machines (VMs), find resources that were spun up but never used, and consolidate VMs on hosts, leading to significant hardware cost savings.
- A 93% reduction in unplanned downtime. Prior to using vRealize Operations, interviewees could not identify issues before they became critical and would, therefore, have to shut down their environments to administer patches. Then, systems would be forced to remain off while the teams ran time-consuming diagnostic tests. vRealize Operations provides continuous performance optimization based on operational and business intent, optimizing resource usage, detecting capacity shortfalls, and proactively resolving issues — helping customers optimize their environment and improve availability.
- A 50% reduction in database management software licensing costs. vRealize Operations’ continuous performance optimization functionality allowed customers to automate workload balancing based on business intent, such as host-based workload placements. This helped customers consolidate and separate workloads based on software licenses.
- An average 500-terabyte reduction in storage needs. In addition to the hardware cost savings that resulted from vRealize Operations’ capacity optimization functionality, customers also experienced a reduction in storage needs.
To learn more about how vRealize Operations can provide this kind of immediate, significant value to your team and your company, check out the vRealize Operations website or technical guides microsite.
You can also check out our post on what’s new in vRealize Operations 7.5, due out soon – to see exactly how we plan to improve even more on these results.
 The Total Economic Impact™ Of VMware vRealize Operations, a March 2019 commissioned study conducted by Forrester Consulting on behalf of VMware.
 The Total Economic Impact™ Of vRealize Intelligent Operations, a November 2016 commissioned study conducted by Forrester Consulting on behalf of VMware.