The digital workspace is fast becoming the platform for end-user computing (EUC). It delivers a unified experience to end users accessing their SaaS, mobile, web and Windows apps across devices. And it provides IT with a single platform to set contextual policies for these users. But how do you cost-effectively and simply deliver Windows apps—which still represent the lion’s share of apps in the enterprise—through this digital workspace? Well, naturally, with virtualization—something VMware knows a thing or two about. With virtualization, we simply and securely deliver Windows apps and desktops as a service.
From VMworld 2017 U.S., we are excited to bring you innovations that will help you get even more out of managing virtual desktops and apps. Net-net is that we want you to:
- No longer worry about infrastructure;
- Deliver an even better user experience; and
- Completely automate how your desktops and apps are defined and managed.
Because let’s face it: do you really want to be in the business of having to size infrastructure? Do you want to have five different consoles to manage your end users? And do you want to have six different solutions to build your digital workspace?
Here is a look at some of the great things we have coming your way for managing virtual desktops and apps.
Whether you deploy on premises or in the cloud, we are making it so you no longer have to worry about sizing and validating these solutions—because we do it all for you.
2. Hosted apps for as low as $8/user. Now available for $8 per named user per month and $13 per concurrent user per month. We are also adding in a whole slew of new capabilities to improve performance and simplify management like:
- Single app entitlements
- File association
- Schedule rolling reboots of RDSH farms
4. New All-in-One Solutions. VMware Horizon Apps and NVIDIA GRID support will be added to the Dell-EMC VDI Complete umbrella, allowing customers to get started for as low as $7/user/month.
5. VMware vCloud Foundation with Horizon. A new integrated solution will allow customers to easily stand up and manage an enterprise cloud with VMware vSphere, VMware vSAN and VMware NSX.
Exceptional User Experience
We’re adding a whole slew of new capabilities to allow you to deliver a better experience to your end users across devices and locations. Regardless of the infrastructure you opt to go with, we ensure that your end users can collaborate and work more productively than ever.
1. Better Collaboration with Skype for Business. This joint solution with Microsoft will now support end users across both virtual desktops and RDSH apps. We additionally now support both Linux and Windows clients.
2. Advanced App Support
- Session pre-launch. That’s right. We now have the ability to support pre-launch to help users access apps quickly by starting sessions before they are requested.
- Session linger. We will also support this new feature to improve user experience by preventing the launch delay between apps.
- App shortcuts. We will automatically place app and desktop shortcuts in the start menu where they are easy to find for end users.
3. Blast Session Collaboration (tech preview). Multiple users can simultaneously collaborate on the same virtual desktop to solve problems, collaborate and work.
Together with HTML 5 video redirection support and a whole slew of capabilities like local printing, webcam redirection and more, you can address more use cases than ever before. What’s not to love about Horizon and Horizon Apps?
As many of you know, JMP leverages our Instant Clones technology along with VMware App Volumes and VMware User Environment Manager. With JMP, we are excited to introduce the tech preview of Automated Management—the ability through a single console to create desktop workspaces based on the user image, apps and profiles/persona. You simply use this workflow and let the technology under the covers do the rest.
One More Thing
We want to celebrate the products that kicked everything off for us at VMware, namely VMware Fusion and VMware Workstation. That’s right—it is the 10th anniversary of Fusion this year, and we are releasing new versions of both Fusion 10 and Workstation 14. And in addition to supporting macOS High Sierra and Win10 Fall Creator’s Update, Fusion will additionally support REST APIs for test and dev.
We look forward to seeing many of you at VMworld! And for those of you who can’t make it this year, we are looking forward to bringing these new innovations your way.
See It First at VMworld
“Goodbye, Legacy VDI. Hello, Dynamic VDI for the Digital Workspace: A Modern Approach to Planning, Building, Running & Securing Virtual Desktops & Apps as Part of Your Customized Digital Workspace”
- Dewey Gripshover, Aviation VDI Program Owner, General Electric
- Chris Fedje, Manager – Information Systems, Telus Communications
- Chuck Suitor, Associate VP and Chief Technology Officer, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
- Shankar Iyer, SVP and GM Desktop Products, VMware
- Andre Kreft, CEO and CIO Faculty of Biology, Faculty of Biology, University of Duisburg-Essen
- Shankar Iyer, SVP and GM Desktop Products, VMware
Click here to log in to your VMworld account to watch recorded sessions.