With lot of new features and capabilities announced at VMworld about a month back, VMware Cloud on AWS is going big again with some exciting announcements at re:Invent 2021. For last 4+ years, VMware Cloud on AWS has been helping customers in their hybrid cloud journey by providing them a deeply integrated hybrid cloud environment for vSphere workloads. Based on customer needs, we have released 17 major SDDC releases with 300+ new features and expanded regional availability of the service to 19 global AWS regions. Customers have been using VMware Cloud on AWS for variety of use cases such as cloud migration, data center extension, virtual desktops, disaster recovery and app modernization. You can check out these case studies to learn more about how customers across different industries and geographies are using VMware Cloud on AWS for variety of use cases.
Now, let’s talk about some of the key capabilities of VMware Cloud on AWS we are announcing at re:Invent 2021:
- Amazon FSx with NetApp ONTAP Integration
Announcing preview of Amazon FSx with NetApp ONTAP Integration – an NFS datastore for VMware Cloud on AWS. With this capability, you can attach a fully managed, low cost, high performance NFS datastore built on NetApp’s ONTAP file system to the VMware Cloud on AWS SDDC and scale their storage environment as needed without the need to purchase additional host instances. Amazon FSx for NetApp ONTAP offers high-performance file storage with compression and deduplication to help you further reduce storage costs. It provides ONTAP’s data management capabilities, like snapshots, clones, and replication across your hybrid cloud environment that will improve staff productivity and responsiveness. Learn more
We are opening early access nominations for this capability now. So, if you are interested in learning more about the early access program, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
2. VMware Transit Connect Intra-Region Peering with AWS Transit Gateway
VMware Transit Connect provides high bandwidth, resilient connectivity to SDDCs in an SDDC Group. With this enhancement, VMware Cloud on AWS customers will be able to peer their VMware Transit Connect with AWS Transit Gateway (TGW) in the same AWS region. This will help customers establish high bandwidth connectivity between their VMware Cloud on AWS SDDC Group and AWS Transit Gateway (TGW), enabling access to VPC resources at scale without the need for a Transit VPC. This further simplifies access between VMware Cloud on AWS VPC resources and AWS VPC resources, while retaining control over connectivity in the respective environments.
3. Flexible subscription option when purchasing from AWS:
Today, customers can purchase VMware Cloud on AWS hosts from AWS as an on-demand or 1-year or 3-year subscription with the option to pay monthly or upfront. These subscription purchasing options are tied to a specific region and instance type for the entire duration – without the ability to change or modify these dimensions. With the introduction of the new subscription offering, we will provide customers who purchase from AWS greater flexibility to exchange their subscription as their business needs change.
- By purchasing a flexible subscription, customers are entitled to terminate their existing flexible term subscription (1-year or 3-year commitment) early and utilize the value remaining for a purchase of a new 1-year or 3-year subscription. Please note: To avail this flexibility, customers must purchase new flexible 1-year or 3-year term commitments, paid upfront. They cannot change previously purchased non-flexible 1-year or 3-year term commitments.
- Some of the examples of flexible subscription exchange use cases are:
- Instance type: Customers can purchase a new term commitment for new instance type. This is specifically useful if customers would like to use existing subscription funds for a different use case where different instance type is more optimal.
- AWS Region: Customers can purchase a new term commitment for a different AWS region. This is specifically useful for the customers if they would like to utilize existing subscription funds for scaling IT infrastructure in new region as per their business needs such as footprint expansion in new regions, regional business growth etc.
Please note: The flexible subscription option is available for 1-year or 3-year term commitments only and not for on-demand option.
4. Order form integration and automation with SSO through AWS Console:
With this capability, customers will be able to submit an order form through AWS management console with their Single Sign-On (SSO) credentials thus eliminating a need for account linking during setting up first SDDC and order form flow will be automated from AWS management console to VMware Cloud Console. Customers who have purchased the service from AWS will also be able to link a proof-of-concept (POC) environment to the order form. This enhancement helps AWS customers get onboarded onto the service in fast and easy manner.
Now, let’s talk about regional expansion for VMware Cloud on AWS GovCloud (US)
- Regional expansion to AWS GovCloud US-East region:
Since the launch of VMware Cloud on AWS GovCloud (US), this hybrid cloud service has been helping federal, state and local government agencies in their digital transformation initiatives. And today, we are announcing regional expansion of VMware Cloud on AWS GovCloud (US) service to AWS GovCloud US-East region. This will bring the availability of the service to both AWS GovCloud regions- GovCloud (US-West) and GovCloud (US-East) regions. With that, public sector customers across all over the US will have better control, interoperability and local governance of their sensitive data while meeting US government’s security and compliance requirements.
Please note that all the features mentioned above are expected to be preview/available in VMware’s Q4’Fiscal Year 2022. Please stay tuned for my what’s new blog for more details.
Meanwhile, if you would like to learn more about VMware Cloud on AWS, here are some learning resources for you:
- You can learn more about our VMware Cloud on AWS service at the VMware Cloud on AWS website or by viewing VMware Cloud on AWS: Overview.
- Follow us on Twitter @vmwarecloudaws and give us a shout with #VMWonAWS.
- Leverage the new VMware Cloud on AWS Techzone for curated technical documentation.
- Watch informative demos, overview videos, webinars and hear from our customers: VMware Cloud on AWS on YouTube.
- Try the VMware Cloud on AWS Lightening Lab for a first-hand immersive experience.
- Read our latest VMware Cloud on AWS blogs.
- Obtain the VMware Cloud on AWS Solution Brief and VMware Cloud on AWS TCO 1-pager.
- Follow the VMware Cloud on AWS release notes, VMware Site Recovery release notes and VMware Cloud Disaster Recovery release notes on continuing updates.
- Read Technical Guides on Operations, Applications, and Performance.
- Listen to latest episodes of VMware Cloud on AWS Unplugged Podcast
- Check out Cloud Customer Success Community, engage with your peers and get your questions answered.