We’re pleased and excited to announce the worldwide General Availability of VMware Workstation 12 Pro & VMware Workstation 12 Player.
VMware Workstation 12 Pro
With support for the brand new release of Windows 10 and the latest Linux distribution, VMware Workstation 12 Pro transforms the way technical professionals develop, test, demonstrate and deploy software by running multiple x86-based operating systems simultaneously on the same PC.
Key New Features in Workstation 12 Pro Include:
- Built for Windows 10 and More – VMware Workstation 12 Pro enables IT professionals and developers to test and develop for Windows 10 with their existing Windows or Linux PC. Users can take advantage of the latest features in Windows 10 like Cortana, the personal digital assistant and the inking capabilities in the new Edge web browser, or begin building universal applications for Windows 10 devices
- Enhanced Graphics Engine – With support for Microsoft DirectX 10 and OpenGL 3.3, VMware Workstation 12 Pro enables and expands the type of 3-D graphics applications that can run inside a virtual machine.
- Improved Performance – VMware Workstation 12 Pro offers performance improvements that enhance productivity and the user experience. With performance improvements of up to 3x when suspending or resuming encrypted virtual machines, up to 36 percent faster 3-D graphics, and improved echo and noise cancelation when using Skype and Lync VoIP calls within a VM – highly demanding applications can be faster and more efficient than ever before.
- Ready for the Latest PCs and Tablets – VMware Workstation 12 Pro has been optimized to support high resolution 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) displays for desktops and QHD+ (3200×1800) displays used in laptops and x86 tablets providing users with a crisp and detailed experience. Workstation 12 Pro also benefits from improvements in handling mixed environments between standard resolution PCs and 4K displays.
- VMware vCloud® Air™ Incentive Program – To help users get familiar with the benefits of cloud computing, VMware Workstation 12 Pro customers are eligible to receive $600 in vCloud Air service credit to use for up to 6 months – twice the standard VMware vCloud Air sign-up offer.
In addition, Workstation 12 Pro includes many other great enhancements including: Auto suspend virtual machines upon host shutdown, Tear away tabs, Improved vCloud Air Integration (Workstation Pro on Windows only), Power operation on remote virtual machines (Now 1 step process), Support IPv6 NAT network, Added NAT network configuration in Virtual Network Editor on Linux hosts, Echo cancellation for voice and video call with Microsoft Lync and Skype, Added USB 3.0 support to Windows 7 virtual machine, New standard installer, and Respect left-handed mouse setting on Windows host.
Read the VMware Workstation 12 Pro Release Notes for a complete list of new features and updates.
VMware Workstation 12 Player
VMware Workstation 12 Player™ (formerly known as VMware Player Pro) is a streamlined offering of VMware Workstation 12 Pro that is ready for Windows 10, offers enhanced 3-D graphics support and improved virtual machine performance. With its intuitive interface and easy setup, VMware Workstation 12 Player is another option for IT professionals to deliver a corporate virtual desktop to employees, contractors or customers.
- Enhanced Operating System Compatibility – VMware 12 Player will run on the latest release of Windows including Windows 10 and will support prevalent operating systems like Windows XP and Windows 7 in a virtual environment so users can continue to run legacy applications as long as they need.
- Greater Hardware Compatibility – VMware 12 Player will be optimized to run on today’s modern hardware including the latest PC laptops and high-resolution tablets including 4K displays.
- Updated VMware Compatibility – VMware Workstation 12 Player will be able to run restricted virtual machines created by VMware Workstation 12 Pro or VMware Fusion 8 Pro. Restricted virtual machines secure corporate desktops with encryption, runtime password protection, USB access restriction, isolation between the host and guest OS, and time limitation.
So why the name change from VMware Player Pro to Workstation Player? Player is an integral part of the Workstation product, so we chose to rebrand it with the goal of having one brand to represent Windows and Linux desktop virtualization as opposed to two (Workstation & Player). Workstation Player becomes an edition of the Workstation family with lesser capability and a simpler interface than its big brother Workstation Pro. This change streamlines our brands and makes it easier for our customers to understand better what we sell: the Workstation brand for desktop virtualization on Windows and Linux PCs, the Fusion brand for desktop virtualization on Macs.
Read the VMware Workstation 12 Player Release Notes for a complete list of new features and updates
New System Requirements
While 32 bit operating systems are supported inside virtual machines, VMware Workstation 12 Pro and Workstation 12 Player require 64 bit processor and 64 bit host operating systems for advanced computing and enhanced performance.
Availability and Pricing
VMware Workstation 12 Pro and VMware Workstation 12 Player are available for purchase immediately for $249.99 and $149.99 respectively.
VMware Workstation 10 and 11 customers can upgrade to VMware Workstation 12 Pro for $149.99. VMware Player 6 Plus and Player 7 Pro customers can upgrade to Workstation 12 Player for $79.99.
Customers who purchased VMware Workstation 11 and VMware Player 7 Plus between July 29, 2015 and September 30, 2015 will receive a free electronic upgrade to VMware Workstation 12 and VMware Workstation 12 Player respectively. For more details, visit the upgrade page.
We hope you enjoy using VMware Workstation 12 Pro and Workstation 12 Player as much as we enjoyed creating it.
– The VMware Workstation Team