In our latest release of vC operations 5.8 we have added many Management Packs that drive heterogeneity beyond vSphere. Who would have thought of hyperV and AWS data and dashboards out of the box in vCenter Operations?
The key focus for us this past year has been Storage. Storage visibility to the virtual infrastructure admin really helps drive operation excellent (aka find the problem quickly and get off the CIO’s operational dashboard).
Ah, but what about those Storage administrators that need to see very deeply into their EMC storage arrays. This where our partner EMC has take vC Operations and their deep knowledge of the internal working of the Storage Arrays and built a new product:
EMC Storage Analytics (ESA) delivers a single, end-to-end view of virtualized infrastructures (servers to storage) powered by VMware’s vCenter Operations Management Suite analytics engine. ESA delivers actionable performance analysis and proactively facilitates increased insight into storage resource pools to help detect capacity and performance issues so they can be corrected before they cause a major impact. ESA provides increased visibility, metrics and a rich collection of storage analytics for EMC VNX & VMAX storage infrastructures in VMware virtual environments.
ESA has several pre-configured dashboards including:
- Storage Topology—provides an entry point for viewing resources and relationships between storage and virtual infrastructure objects..
- Storage Metrics— displays resource and metrics for storage systems and allows the user to view graphs of resource metrics. ESA also reports metrics for advanced storage features such as FAST VP, FAST Cache and Block Deduplication.
- VNX Overview— This collection of heat maps provides a single view of the performance and capacity for all VNX resources with configured adapter instances. Heat maps on this dashboard group the contents by adapter instance.
- VMAX Overview— This collection of heat maps provides a single view of the performance and capacity for all VMAX resources with configured adapter instances. Heat maps on this dashboard group the contents by adapter instance.
- Topology dashboards—provides an entry point for viewing resources and relationships between storage and virtual infrastructure objects for VNX and VMAX adapter instances.
- Metrics dashboards— displays resources and metrics for VNX or VMAX storage systems and allows the user to view graphs of resource metrics.
- Top-N dashboards—enable you to view your top performers at a glance. The number of objects in your top performer list is configurable. Top-N dashboards are available for VNX and VMAX systems.
- Dashboard XChange— The Dashboard XChange is a user community page for users to exchange EMC Storage Analytics custom dashboards. EMC Storage Analytics provides a set of default dashboards that provide you with a variety of functional views into your storage environment. EMC Storage Analytics also enables you to create custom dashboards that allow you to visualize collected data according to your own requirements. The Dashboard XChange is an extension of that feature that enables you to:
- Export custom dashboards to the Dashboard XChange to benefit a wider EMC Storage Analytics community
- Import custom dashboards from the Dashboard XChange to add value to your own environment. Videos available at:
EMC Storage Analytics provides metrics that enable you to assess the health of monitored resources. If the metrics for VNX Block or VNX File resources indicate that you need to troubleshoot those resources, EMC Storage Analytics provides a way to link-launch Unisphere on the VNX array.
See the EMC Storage Analytics at the VMware Solution Exchange:
Download the 90-day Trial Software at: http://www.emc.com/storage/storage-analytics.htm#!trial_software