By Sumit Dhawan, VP and GM of Desktop, End-User Computing, VMware
As we kick off VMware Partner Exchange 2014, I’m excited to make some announcements in the rapidly emerging market of cloud-delivered Desktop-as-a-service (DaaS).
We are announcing the availability of the industry’s first end-to-end software platform for DaaS, VMware Horizon DaaS Platform (previously Desktone), that provides a complete software stack for service providers to build a cloud-based DaaS offering at scale. With the close of the acquisition just four short months ago, VMware Horizon DaaS Platform integrates three key software ingredients for building a scalable DaaS offering into a single platform:
- The industry’s leading secure multi-tenant broker and orchestrator
- Mobile and cloud-optimized virtual desktop delivery technology with great user experience
- The world’s most widely used virtualization and cloud platform.
IDC predicts that the market for cloud-hosted desktops will grow at 85% CAGR over the next 5 years and near $1 billion. We envision high customer and partner interest will lead to significant growth in DaaS clouds.
In order for service providers to rapidly build their DaaS clouds and operate them at scale, they need an integrated platform that is built from the ground-up for the cloud, rather than trying to integrate and operate disparate parts that are not designed or optimized for cloud.
The Integrated Platform
Our goal at VMware is simple – to provide our partners with an end-to-end software platform that they can serve customers with, using a scalable low cost DaaS cloud. The integration of three key technologies makes VMware Horizon DaaS Platform unique from other offerings:
- Desktone by VMware: Industry’s leading secure multi-tenant broker and orchestrator – Desktone by VMWare is built on a multi-tenant grid architecture that provides central management of multiple tenants and clouds that keeps secure information about each tenant completely separate to stay in compliance with MS licensing. Its role-based portal provides clear and comprehensive control for the service provider, tenant and end-users accessing the desktops.
- VMware Horizon View Experience: Desktop delivery technology with mobile and cloud-optimized end-user experience – Over the course of last several years, we have designed our VDI solution, Horizon View, to deliver a great user experience. In fact, Gartner recently recognized Horizon View for delivering a great experience from any device, anywhere. We have integrated our Horizon View delivery technology with the Desktone broker, giving our customers the best of both worlds – a cloud-based broker platform and a cloud-optimized delivery. This means end-users will be able to simply use their Horizon View clients to connect to desktops both on-premise or off-premise through the cloud, without any difference in their overall experience.
- VMware Virtualization and Cloud Platform: Using the industry’s leading technology – Every DaaS platform runs on a virtualization and cloud platform, and VMware is a leading provider of Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS). The VMware Horizon DaaS Platform has been fully integrated with key components of VMware vCloud, including vSphere and vCenter.
The VMware Horizon DaaS Platform is now available to service providers as a VMware Service Provider Program (VSPP) solution so partners can easily build DaaS offerings for their customers. VMware is the proven service provider market leader with VSPPs deployed in 95 countries with over 12,000 partners. With this launch, our service provider partners will be “Horizon DaaS POWERED.”
Easy to Adopt, Better Than the Competition
VMware offers a complete and proven blueprint for enabling service providers to deliver DaaS – this includes best practices on technology, operations and customer acquisition.
Partners can easily enter the DaaS market with an integrated technology platform using VMware Horizon DaaS Platform and a simple licensing program from VMware for the complete stack, giving our partners the ability to create opportunities in extending infrastructure-as-a-service to desktops or workspace-as-a-service, and create new and recurring revenue streams. VMware Horizon DaaS Platform is fully extensible so service providers can create their own differentiated or verticalized offerings with complementary add-ons such as application hosting, help desk remote, backup and storage.
Our vision is simple – we want our customers to get their desktops and apps delivered as a service either on-premise or off-premise in the cloud, so they can work at the speed of life regardless of where they are or what device they are using.
I am proud of the team for pulling together this offer in just four short months since the acquisition, and I look forward to continued innovation in enabling hybrid brokering, management and orchestration with our technology stack.