By Tina de Benedictis, Technical Marketing Manager, Enterprise Desktop, End User Computing, VMware
Download mode used to be the only choice for ThinApp packages offered through VMware Horizon Application Manager. Now, with Horizon 1.5, ThinApp streaming mode is also an option.
ThinApp streaming mode is especially important for users accessing Horizon applications through VMware View stateless desktops.
How do you enable ThinApp packages for streaming mode in Horizon?
The Horizon Agent, not ThinApp, handles the enablement of ThinApp packages for streaming deployment mode in Horizon. When you install the Horizon Agent on an endpoint, the VMware Horizon Agent Configuration window allows you to select download or streaming deployment mode.
Streaming deployment mode is the default.
When you select download or streaming mode during Horizon Agent installation, it applies to all ThinApp packages for that endpoint.
If you have more questions about ThinApp streaming mode in Horizon, see VMware ThinApp virtual application streaming in Horizon Application Manager. This Knowledge Base article answers the following questions and more:
- Do you need two different packages for each ThinApp virtualized application in Horizon, one for streaming mode and one for download mode?
- Does the Windows file share for ThinApp packages in Horizon need to be different for streaming packages than for packages to be downloaded to endpoints?
- Do you need to set MSIStreaming=1 for streaming of a ThinApp package in Horizon?
- Is Horizon streaming limited to recent ThinApp packages?
Related links and questions
- What is Horizon Application Manager?
- Why would you want to place ThinApp virtual applications in the Horizon environment?
Integrating ThinApp packages into Horizon Application Manager provides:
- Secure single sign-on access to a unified catalog of virtualized Windows applications and SaaS and federated web applications
- Dynamic entitlement of users and groups to ThinApp packages
- A management interface to deploy and entitle your users to ThinApp packages
- How do you integrate ThinApp packages into the Horizon environment?
See the VMware ThinApp Reviewer’s Guide.