VMware and IBM are very excited to announce the general availability of VMware vRealize Operations for Power, a new VMware solution made possible through a strategic collaboration with IBM and Blue Medora. In this solution, vRealize Operations is able to manage Power servers by leveraging Blue Medora management packs to help produce a single pane of glass for customers’ data centers spanning both x86 and IBM Power hardware.
VMware vRealize Operations for Power helps IT administrators run production operations across large, complex, heterogeneous and hybrid environments with an open and extensible platform with scalability and resilience. It can deliver the following benefits:
- Efficiency: Increase the efficiency of IT staff and the utilization of IT resources, reducing both operational expenditure and capital expenditure.
- Reduced downtime: Proactively identify and solve emerging performance issues and bottlenecks with predictive analytics, enabling optimum performance and availability.
- Unified visibility: Streamline and centralize operations with comprehensive visibility from applications to infrastructure and across private and public clouds in a single platform.
- Business/IT alignment: Provide transparency into the operations and cost characteristics of IT services to better align IT and business.
VMware vRealize Operations for Power delivers a comprehensive data center operations management platform designed to unify management from apps to infrastructure and across private, public, and hybrid clouds. vRealize Operations delivers continuous performance optimization based on intent, efficient capacity and cost management, proactive planning and intelligent remediation.
Realtime, predictive analytics drive performance, capacity and cost optimization, helping customers proactively avoid contention and capacity risk, identify potential savings, automate right sizing and reclamation, and accelerate planning.
This highly scalable and intuitive platform helps predict, prevent and troubleshoot issues across private and multiple clouds with unified visibility, federated views and unmatched extensibility with management packs.
This solution is offered in two ways: vRealize Operations for Power (Medium) and vRealize Operations for Power (Small). Both have the same set of Blue Medora management packs, but the Medium bundle includes vRealize Operations Advanced and Small bundle includes vRealize Operations Standard.
List of Blue Medora Management Packs for VMware vRealize Operations for Power
VMware vRealize Operations for Power comes with 22 Blue Medora management packs and 3 agents. Two of the core management packs include the IBM SVC Management Pack and IBM HMC Management Pack. The three agents include the AIX agent, SUSE Linux Agent, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux Agent.
vRealize Operations works with IBM’s Hardware Management Console (HMC) for planning, deploying, and managing servers. Major functions include creating and modifying logical partitions, including dynamically adding and removing resources. You can quickly understand the overall health of your HMC environment, and identify potential problems.
Leveraging the IBM HMC Management pack, customers will receive the following out of the box content
- 3 comprehensive monitoring dashboards
- 130 collected metrics for IBM HMC resources
- 45+ alerts and recommendations
- Discovery of external relationships
vRealize Operations also works with IBM PowerVC for virtualization management. It delivers virtualization management and cloud enablement for IBM Power Systems. This allows customers to quickly understand the overall health of their PowerVC environment based on resource kind.
Leveraging the IBM PowerVC Management pack, customers will receive the following out of the box content
- 4 comprehensive monitoring dashboards
- 40+ collected metrics for IBM PowerVC resources
- 60+ alerts and recommendations
- Discovery of external relationships
With this visibility to the infrastructure, adding the additional management pack such as SAP HANA and Oracle Database management packs, you can now monitor and troubleshoot your power environment from Host to VM, VM to application in a single tool.
vRealize Operations for Power provides a single pane of glass across customer data centers, bringing everything together from applications to infrastructure and across private, public, and hybrid clouds.
These are just some of the highlights of the new release. Stay tuned for technical deep dives!