VMware Scores Highest in 2 out of 4 Use Cases and Only Vendor to Receive Top 2 Highest Scores Across Every Use Case in 2019 Gartner Critical Capabilities for UEM Tools
In August, VMware was named a Leader in Gartner’s 2019 Magic Quadrant for Unified Endpoint Management (UEM) and we’re excited to announce we scored highest in 2 out of 4 use cases and second highest in the other 2 use cases in the 2019 Gartner Critical Capabilities for Unified Endpoint Management Tools.
Gartner Critical Capabilities enhances the Gartner Magic Quadrant with deeper insight into vendors’ product and service offerings by providing product ratings of key capabilities in critical differentiating usage scenarios.
In the report, VMware was positioned highest in the PC management and unmanaged/BYO management use cases. VMware was also the only vendor positioned in the top 2 across all use cases, further demonstrating reliability to address every customer use case!
For the report, Gartner evaluated VMware Workspace ONE unified endpoint management (UEM), which is a scalable platform that enables organizations to securely manage any endpoint—from desktops and mobile to ruggedized and IoT devices—from a single pane-of-glass. Workspace ONE enables IT to securely deliver and manage any app on any device by integrating access control, app management, and multi-platform modern endpoint management to flexibly meet a multitude of customer use cases, including BYO, company owned and managed, frontline workers, single-purpose, and secure/locked-down devices.
PC Management Use Case
For this use case, Gartner emphasized management depth across Windows 10 and macOS, including the ability to migrate from traditional client-management tools (CMT).
As market focus continues to shift from CMT and EMM to UEM, VMware has maintained a rapid pace of innovation to help customers prepare for this next generation of digital innovation. Key capabilities that weigh heavily into VMware’s leadership across the PC Management use case include:
• Full modern management of Windows PCs with out-of-the-box onboarding, full GPO and MDM API support, granular over-the-air patching, modern cloud-based and Peer-to-Peer software distribution, and complete lifecycle management of BitLocker.
• Workspace ONE AirLift connector to CMT tools, allowing customers to speed and de-risk transition efforts to a more cost-efficient and secure modern management model.
• Expansion of lifecycle management and consistent experiences for all apps regardless of OS platforms with integrated virtual app delivery and native Win32 and Mac app support.
•Modern management macOS that streamlines onboarding and configuration via Apple Deployment Programs, a native Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub app and complete native app and patch lifecycle management for Mac devices.
Unmanaged Devices/BYO Use Case
For this employee-supplied use case, the 2019 Gartner Critical Capabilities report considers the need to securely support workspace for users who refuse “device management,” either voluntarily or due to legal and company policies or restrictions.
Here again, VMware shows leadership by delivering a simplified employee experience with Workspace ONE Intelligent Hub, a single app for employees to securely access corporate apps, resources, and workflows across BYO and corporate-owned devices, including adaptive management to help maximize BYO adoption.
• Employee devices can be flexibly supported with a secure workspace experience by providing just Intelligent Hub and application catalog with no device management (MAM), or a comprehensive PIM solution or container.
• To meet compliance requirements, the BYO device onboarding process can be customized so users have complete visibility into the privacy details of what data is being collected and/or visible to IT and what device permissions are being requested.
Nontraditional Device Management Use Case
For this use case, Gartner focused on management of non-standard devices such as wearables, IoT and proprietary platforms; and devices in locked down configurations like kiosks or multiuser mode.
VMware continues to invest in providing robust support for these use cases, including:
• Scalable support for corporate-owned, rugged devices deployed in Android Enterprise managed device mode, which offers simplified deployment options, complete app management, and comprehensive security.
• Expanded remote support capabilities with Workspace ONE Assist (formerly called Workspace ONE Advanced Remote Management), which empowers IT and help desk staff to remote view or control Android, iOS, Windows, and macOS devices directly from the Workspace ONE console while maintaining employee privacy and trust.
• Continued support for workplace or workspace IoT endpoints, including wearables (like augmented, mixed, and virtual reality head-mounted displays), peripherals (like voice assistants, mobile printers, and enterprise SLEDs), and single-purpose devices (like interactive kiosks and digital signage).
Highly Secure and Regulated Industries Use Case
Here, Gartner looked at platform security and certifications that address the needs of government and regulated, high-security industries such as retail, healthcare, and others.
VMware continues to invest in enterprise-grade security capabilities and certifications fit for government agencies and regulated industries, to ensure full regulatory compliance while increasing customer loyalty. Key security innovations in Workspace ONE include:
• Robust conditional access engine that can leverage device compliance (ownership, configuration,
compliant), user/identity (authentication, behavior, location), app (type, federation, certs, whitelist/blacklist), network (method, encryption), and time.
• User and device risk-based security analytics that can drive conditional access in the perimeter-less environment. The risk score is based on anomalous behavior indicators such as spikes in download activity, change in access location, etc.
• For zero trust security, expanded security ecosystem integrations and open Trust Network APIs for 3rd party EDR/EPP and MTD solutions like Carbon Black, CrowdStrike, Microsoft ATP, and others.
• Complete BitLocker and FileVault lifecycle management including escrow, refresh, recovery of keys.
Now is the time to migrate from traditional mobile, desktop, and IoT management to a single modern approach, and at VMware, we’d love to help you achieve this. We encourage you to download the 2019 Gartner Critical Capabilities report to see why we believe VMware is uniquely positioned to help you improve cost savings, security, and user experience with Workspace ONE.
Source: Gartner, Inc., Critical Capabilities for Unified Endpoint Management Tools, Chris Silva, et al, October 10, 2019.
Gartner Disclosure: Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, express or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. © 2019 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. or its affiliates. This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.