VMworld 2018 Europe: New Innovations Coming Your Way with the Intelligence-driven Digital Workspace
At VMworld US in Las Vegas, we announced game-changing updates to VMware Workspace ONE to drive employee productivity and redefine modern management and security. We introduced a whole slew of new apps, services and partner integrations to our digital workspace platform to help organizations drive business transformation. At VMworld Europe in Barcelona this week we are continuing the charge adding support for devices, more apps, across clouds– to make Workspace ONE the platform uniquely positioned to support the diversity and heterogeneity that is found across every single organization out there today.
So, without further ado– here is everything you need to know about what VMware is announcing at the show this week around the digital workspace.
Modern Management: Embracing Physical and Virtual Across More Devices, Platforms and Clouds
At VMware we believe that modern management applies to more than just Windows management— it is about enabling IT with an automated, cloud-based, real-time and unified approach to managing Android, Chrome OS, iOS, macOS, and Windows 10, from a single-pane-of-glass. What’s more, it’s about ensuring that this approach can be applied to physical as well as virtual endpoint management to streamline and simplify how IT manages and delivers IT services.
With that in mind— here’s a look at what’s new to help our customers fully embrace modern management across all of their devices and platforms.
We’re Simplifying Onboarding
- With Dell Provisioning for VMware Workspace ONE, IT can deliver devices fully configured with apps and resources straight from the factory to the end user. The service is now available within Dell ProDeploy Client Suite, which provides additional configuration services to ease PC deployment. This service can be purchased together with a new Workspace ONE license at a special combined rate as part of ProDeploy.
We’re Helping Automate Day 2 Operations
- Orchestrate Management Workflows: Workspace ONE Intelligence can now be leveraged with third-party IT service management and notification systems via the Workspace ONE Intelligence automation connector. Building on existing out-of-box connectors to Slack and ServiceNow, the connector provides a way for customers to easily connect automated actions and notifications created in Workspace ONE Intelligence with their service desk and other ITSM investments.
- Easily Deliver Windows 32 Apps into the Digital Workspace with Flexera: A new integration with Flexera Admin Studio simplifies the import and delivery of critical Win32 apps packaged by Flexera into Workspace ONE for deployment.
- Improve Windows and Mac Management and Compliance: With Workspace ONE sensors, IT can maintain macOS and Windows configuration baselines across the OS, firmware, applications, and more with real-time collection of system. In addition, there is support for new macOS System Integrity Protection (SIP) across kernel and system files, allowing IT to detect changes that may be indicative of device compromise.
We’re Improving Service Delivery by Enabling Cost-effective Bursting and DR Use Cases
- Horizon 7 Instant Clones, App Volumes and User Environment Manager on VMC is now generally available. Organizations can also take advantage of a tech preview that allows them to automate the installation of Horizon 7 on VMware Cloud (VMC) on Amazon Web Services to get employees up and running faster.
- Monitor and manage desktop health and capacity consumption simultaneously across public and private cloud environments, including the VMware Cloud thanks to the integration of Horizon 7 into the Horizon Cloud Service. And now, Horizon 7 and Horizon Cloud also supports Windows Microsoft Server 2019 to enable IT to create an optimized Windows image for Horizon virtual desktops.
- Looking for HA? Now organizations can take advantage of native high-availability support for Unified Access Gateway (UAG), simplifying on-premises deployments for both Horizon and Workspace ONE. This means that organizations no longer need to purchase and integrate 3rd party load-balancers when deploying virtual desktops and apps across datacenters and locations.
Zero Trust: Increasing Security with Visibility and Remediation
IT faces the challenge of balancing simple access with security on a daily basis. With Workspace ONE, security is built-in to the platform, enabling IT to configure conditional access and data loss prevention policies, set automated compliance remediation actions, perform remote actions and more. For organizations looking to get visibility into best-of-breed third party security investments, Workspace ONE offers integrations with a broad ecosystem of security partners, through through Workspace ONE Trust Network.
With this in mind — here is what we’re introducing to help bolster visibility, improve security and support conditional access into the digital workspace.
We’re Beefing Up Threat Detection
- Improve Security Posture with Integrated EDR Threat Intelligence: The latest integrations from Trust Network partners Carbon Black and AppDefense improve security posture with threat detection and automated remediation from endpoints to the hypervisor.
- Prevent Threats from traversing Cloud Infrastructure with Micro-segmentation for Cloud Desktops: VMware NSX support for cloud-based virtual desktop and app workloads allows IT to quickly isolate threats on Horizon Cloud on Microsoft Azure.
- Proactively manage risk with insights into user behavior: Workspace ONE Intelligence provides new insights and contextual awareness into user behavior helps and recommendations to increase security.
We’re Supporting Rich Conditional Access with Okta
- Now generally available in partnership with Okta, apps can be delivered to employees through a unified app catalog leveraging device trust and user identity to enable conditional access to the most mission-critical apps.
User Productivity: Enhancing Experiences on Any App and Device
Today’s workers expect to be able to have the same experience with modern apps at work that they are used to in their personal lives. VMware Workspace ONE provides employees with a “consumer simple” unified app catalog with integrated single sign-on (SSO) and a suite of engaging productivity apps that give secure, instant access to work data. Horizon is deeply integrated with Workspace ONE to give users the same seamless access to their virtualized apps and desktops with rich graphics across a range of network conditions. The combination allows employees to be productive, on any app – Windows, native, cloud and web – across devices and locations.
Employees are at the heart of the digital workspace, and here is what we are doing to help ensure they have the best possible experience.
We’re Making Employees More Productive
- Employees can take advantage of Google G Suite support for corporate email within VMware Boxer. Organizations now have even more flexibility to add the services that best meet their needs. And for organizations with high security requirements, Boxer has attained industry-first NIAP certification for secure email.
- IT now has better visibility across all VMware secure apps. Available today in beta, organizations can gain insights into enhanced app performance analytics through Workspace ONE Intelligence for Workspace ONE Boxer, Web, and Content to help optimize the employee’s experience.
- Everyone can leverage the Samsung Desktop Experience with Workspace ONE and Horizon. Employees can launch their smartphone on a full monitor with apps in full screen with use of a mouse and keyboard with Workspace ONE. In addition to supporting the Workspace ONE productivity app suite in DeX mode, VMware also provides support VDI in DeX mode with Horizon.
- Organizations can deliver the best video and live streaming video experience across virtual apps and desktops. Horizon now supports H.265/High Efficiency Video Codec (HEVC) encoder for reduced latency and rich graphics.
We’re Making Privacy SDKs Available
- A new Privacy SDK is now generally available, enabling developers to build privacy workflows into apps to increase user trust and transparency for increased app adoption.
We’re Helping Make It Easier for Employees to Collaborate
- Collaborate across sessions with up to 10 other employees. Employees leveraging Horizon virtual desktops can now invite up to 10 other users to join either virtual Linux or Windows sessions.
We’re excited about these new announcements and look forward to showcasing these at the show. With Workspace ONE, VMware is paving the way for organizations to provide simple, secure access to all their apps and desktops across devices and clouds. Be sure to join us at the EUC Keynote where one lucky person will get a chance to win an Oculus Go, and 200 attendees will get a free Fusion or Workstation license.