As customers work to stay competitive with attracting and hiring top talent, BYOD is becoming less of a choice and more of a baseline standard. Today’s top talent demands choice in the devices they work from, where they work, and experiences that mimic those in their personal life. Our customer’s report:
30% of devices that connect to enterprise systems are under management. That means another 70% of devices out there are not corporate-liable, and therefore, considered BYOD.
It used to be that enterprises were the ones with the latest and greatest technology, due to cost and other factors. Now the tables have turned, and consumers are the ones with the greatest technology and enterprises are lagging. Today’s post explains how the Workspace ONE platform can support a world-class BYOD experience for employees.
Secure Access to Work Apps with Workspace ONE
Workspace ONE supports the BYOD use case with simple, secure access to any application, on any device.
- Simplified Access – End users enter their email address, username and password to gain access to key apps.
- Secure Access – Adaptive management enables administrators to configure additional security requirements based on the content of an application.
For Example: Only allow managed users to access applications that contain sensitive data. This protects corporate data while providing BYOD users choice. They can forgo application access, or they can place their device under management.
- Any Application – Workspace ONE supports access to web, native, and VDI apps.
- Any Device – Workspace ONE is supported on iOS, Android, Mac, Windows 10, Chromebook, and web browsers.
For our customers who are already actively deploying Workspace ONE, we have heard your feedback. We are excited to announce: with the Workspace ONE 3.3 release on iOS and Android that you can now get started with mobile management use cases and choose to set up VMware Identity Manager at a later time. If you already have Agent, pushing Workspace ONE in this configuration is a great way to start the migration for existing users with minimal setup and configuration. For the best experience, we do recommend installing VMware Identity Manager in the future to provide access to VDI apps as well as single sign-on.
Enhance Productivity with VMware Apps
VMware has a suite of containerized, secure mobile apps that support the BYOD use case:
- Workspace ONE – One place to on-board and securely access all your work apps
- Boxer – Elegant and intelligent mail experience with enterprise-grade security
- Browser – Seamless and secure access to corporate intranet; Kiosk mode for retail
- Content Locker – Secure and instant access to corporate content repositories
- People Search – Search for colleagues, view organization charts, and make calls or compose email
- PIV-D – Derived credentials
- VMware Send – Microsoft Office integration with Workspace ONE Boxer
None of the applications above require an MDM profile for access. Since they are built on the Workspace ONE SDK, admins can secure app data with a single, shared passcode, DLP policies, and more.
Delight Users with VMware Boxer
One of the key pillars of the Workspace ONE apps is a delightful user experience. This means we are constantly seeking out new capabilities and native designs. This investment is evident in our 4-star rating for Boxer on the iOS App Store and Google Play Store.
The Workspace ONE Boxer team is excited to announce two new capabilities:
- Support for Calendar Attachments – Now, end users can view attachments on calendar invitations as well as add new attachments. These attachments respect the existing DLP policies for attachments and can be opened or edited in the same way as email attachments.
- (Public Beta) New Conversation View – The Workspace ONE Boxer 4.14 release provides an upgraded rendering experience. This experience makes the information on the screen much more accessible and easily consumable.
To enable this Beta, navigate to Advanced and toggle the New Conversation View (BETA) setting to ON. We are looking forward to your feedback but believe you will love the updates!
Protect End User Privacy
VMware AirWatch and Workspace ONE have always followed “Privacy-By-Design” guidelines. This can be seen across the platform in the following features:
- Privacy Officers role within the AirWatch UEM Console
- Recent relaunch of WhatIsWorkspaceONE.com
- Privacy web clip that displays upon enrollment enables transparency about data collection.
In lieu of the latest regulations in privacy, we want to facilitate transparency between companies and their employees.
The Workspace ONE team is excited to announce:
- Privacy Module for VMware Productivity Apps – The privacy module is available in the VMware Boxer, Browser, and Content Locker applications.
- (Beta) Privacy Module for Internal Apps – A Beta of the module for customers that have internal apps and want to try it.
Application Development and Workspace ONE SDK
According to analyst research, organization success is most impacted when new business models, products, and services are created for mobile. The Workspace ONE platform can make this easier for enterprises by providing a set of reusable components that can be consumed by purpose-built mobile applications.
Admins don’t need to worry about the integration layer, security, or authentication components and can focus on what they know best: the right UI and business logic required to make end users successful.
The Workspace ONE team is excited to announce two new capabilities:
- Mobile Flows – Mobile flows allow customers to incorporate contextual services into Boxer. Administrators can identify key workflows that are a challenge on mobile and promote informational and actionable notifications that connect to enterprise systems to allow these workflows to be completed easily on mobile. [Related: Revolutionizing Mobile Productivity with Workspace ONE Mobile Flows]
- SCEP Support in the Mobile SDK – Certificates are used in mobile applications for a variety of reasons: authentication, SSL pinning, and encryption. Today, certificates from a CA can be delivered to mobile apps via the Workspace ONE SDK but customers have been asking for a way to extend their existing SCEP infrastructure to mobile apps. There are some advantages to leveraging the SCEP protocol:
- Scalability and Performance – Certificates are generated on the device instead of on the server.
- Security – Since the device generates the key, the private key is never passed over the air.
For more information on SCEP, you can see the SCEP RFC here.
The best place to get started is the Workspace ONE dev center. This site provides best practices for incorporating these modules into your application.