VMware Supports New Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+, Continuing Strong Partnership
On Sunday, Feb. 25, Samsung announced the new Galaxy S9 and S9+ devices, the next offerings within the Samsung flagship Galaxy line. For VMware Workspace ONE, powered by VMware AirWatch technology, customers that manage their devices with market-leading unified endpoint management (UEM) capabilities, VMware will provide day one support upon public availability of the S9 and S9+. Devices go on pre-sale March 2 and will be available March 14.
New Features for Galaxy S9 and S9+
Notable features for Galaxy S9 to be aware of include:
- New surround sound speaker experience
- New camera intelligence and automatic light adjustments
- New AR Emoji using facial recognition technology
- Android Oreo OS support
- Standard 3.5mm headphone jack support
Also of particular importance to Workspace ONE customers are new Samsung DeX (desktop experience) capabilities. Previously, at the Samsung Galaxy Unpacked 2017 event in New York, VMware already demonstrated full DeX support with the Workspace ONE native Android app and VMware Horizon support for virtual Win32 applications and complete VDI desktops through integration with the DeX SDK. This partnership allows joint Samsung and VMware customers to access and enjoy a full desktop experience on the go with Galaxy devices.
New DeX capabilities introduced at Samsung Galaxy Unpacked 2018 not only include ongoing support for the DeX Station but also support for a new device, called the DeX Pad. The DeX Pad does not prop the phone up like the DeX Station does, but instead allows the device to lie flat, where it can be used as a trackpad or keyboard.
VMware and Samsung Continue a Strong Partnership
In 2017, VMware and Samsung introduced several key integrations important to joint customers:
- Workspace ONE support for Android enterprise with KME: Samsung Knox Mobile Enrollment (KME) is an out-of-box enrollment solution exclusive to Samsung devices, which allows administrators to configure devices to enroll as soon as these are powered on and connected to the internet. Using KME, new devices can be enrolled into Android enterprise work-managed device mode.
- Workspace ONE support for E-FOTA: With Samsung Enterprise Firmware Over-the-Air (E-FOTA) integrated into the Workspace ONE console, administrators can manage and deploy their updates together with their apps and device policies. Workspace ONE administrators can choose specific firmware versions that are updated to Samsung devices. IT can opt to skip over versions that are not needed and go directly to a specific version.
- Workspace ONE support for Galaxy Note8: During the fall Samsung Galaxy Unpacked 2017 event, VMware also announced support for the new Samsung Galaxy Note8, which included Samsung DeX, Knox, KME, and E-FOTA support.
VMware congratulates Samsung on another remarkable design achievement with the S9 and S9+ and looks forward to another successful year for joint VMware and Samsung customers!