As our partners know by now, VMware always kicks-off the New Year with VMware Partner Exchange. Partners from all around the world come to the event to get an update on VMware’s business strategy, learn about new partner programs, meet with their VMware counterparts and network with their peers.
In conjunction with the event, the VMware End-User Computing Business Unit is excited to announce:
- The acquisition of Immidio
- New innovations in VMware vSphere 6 and software-defined data center that enhance VMware Horizon 6
These announcements will further strengthen the VMware End-User Computing product portfolio and help our partners support customers who are embracing the move to the mobile cloud.
VMware Acquires Immidio
We are excited to announce that VMware has acquired Immidio, a privately held company that offers a user environment management (UEM) solution. The Immidio UEM solution provides a consistent and dynamic desktop experience that is independent of operating system, device and location.
Demand for business mobility by end-users is creating far-reaching implications for how mission critical applications are delivered. Customers are increasingly searching for solutions that help simplify the management of end-users as they move from desktops, laptops, tablets and smartphones – due to the complexity of managing these assets in silos.
Need for Workspace Environment Management Solution
Customers are looking for a Workspace Environment Management solution that can enable them to dynamically provision end-user workspaces with users’ applications, settings and persona, based on IT defined policies. Workspace Environment Management needs an end-to-end approach to application and end-user environment management across physical, virtual and cloud-hosted desktops. This will enable IT to shift their time and manage service levels for end-users rather than day-to-day device support and operations.
Immidio adds to our product portfolio and will enable VMware to offer a comprehensive set of technologies for Workspace Environment Management. Together with VMware App Volumes (real-time app delivery product from the recent acquisition of CloudVolumes), and VMware vRealize Operations Manager (application and end-user monitoring), Immidio will become a key component of our Horizon portfolio, offering a rich User Environment Management solution.
Immidio was a natural fit for VMware as its solution is:
- Simple by Design – The Immidio Flex+ solution was designed with an eye towards simplicity. It is simple to adopt, scale, manage and operate. A lot of attention was given to ensure that no complexity was added and there was no compromise to key capabilities with its simplicity.
- Enterprise-Grade and Customer Proven – Customers worldwide have adopted Immidio’s solution with the largest implementations being environments with more than 100,000 desktops. The solution supports virtual desktops, physical desktops and even cloud-based desktops.
With the addition of Immidio, we believe that VMware is in a stronger position to help our customers with their business mobility transformation.
To learn more about Immidio, visit the blog post by Harry Labana, vice president, End-User Computing Products, VMware, and read more about the Immidio journey in a blog post by Immidio CEO, Rob Huisman.
Software-Defined Data Center Innovations and VMware Horizon Enhancements
With VMware, our customers can get a complete integrated solution stack for flexible delivery across physical, virtual and the cloud. In addition, it runs on a trusted platform that continues to get optimized for Horizon 6 and hyper-converged for simplicity and lower cost. This week’s announcements continue to reinforce how these optimizations will help Horizon 6 customers.
- NVIDIA GRID™ vGPU™ – The new capabilities of VMware vSphere 6 provide rich 3D application access along with Horizon 6 at high performance and fraction of the costs than before. We have had tremendous success with our early access initiative for NVIDIA GRID vGPU and we are now launching a Direct Access Program to help our enterprise customers quickly adopt this joint solution from VMware and NVIDIA.
- VMware Virtual SAN 6 – VMware Virtual SAN 6, introduces significant scalability and performance enhancements to the company’s award-winning hypervisor-converged storage solution. This means that we are continuing to drive down the overall cost of acquiring and maintaining virtual desktops for any size organization.
- VMware EVO: RAIL – Dell and other partners announced new offerings for EVO: RAIL at VMworld last year but now, our partners can bundle Horizon 6 along with EVO: RAIL to offer a solution that can deliver virtual desktops as a simple low cost solution for customers. The EVO: RAIL and Horizon 6 combined solution has also been validated to work with NexentaConnect that offers virtual desktop automation and acceleration for stateless desktop deployments.
Read the blog post by Erik Frieberg, vice president of marketing, End-User Computing and Shankar Iyer, vice president of product management, End-User Computing at VMware for more information on all of these new innovations.
VMware continues to push the innovation train to bring added value to customers with our solutions. We are committed to delivering key value to our customers and innovate to continue to transform desktop and workspace environment management.