VMware Horizon FLEX – Local Virtual Desktops for Macs and PCs – Now Available!
By Nicolas Rochard, Director of Product Marketing, End-User Computing, VMware
Today, I am excited to announce the general availability of VMware Horizon FLEX.
VMware Horizon FLEX is a comprehensive enterprise solution that enables organizations to provision and manage local, corporate Windows-based virtual desktops to groups of employees that were previously difficult or costly to support. IT is now able to give Mac users, contractors and remote workers access to a secure corporate desktop in a cost effective package without sacrificing security or corporate compliance. This allows IT to save on training and support costs, while end-users quickly become productive on a Mac or PC whether or not they are connected to the corporate network.
VMware Horizon FLEX provides key benefits that include:
- Flexible Deployment Options — Standardized virtual desktops for PC and Mac end-users can be provisioned for customers, contractors or remote employees through the corporate network or locally on a USB drive.
- Centralized Control — Centralized policy-based management creates a more secure virtual desktop environment that assists with securing data, configurations and virtual disks. Device control can allow or deny use of peripheral devices, expiration control enables IT to set a timeframe for virtual desktops to expire and remote kill can disable virtual desktops remotely in case of theft, termination or lack of corporate compliance.
- Local Execution –- Users get access to a rich desktop experience through VMware’s industry leading clients and ensure productivity, even when on the road or disconnected from the network.
- Unified Image Management — Virtual desktops can be managed as a set of logical layers owned by IT or the end-user. Dynamic layering for desktop and application management using VMware Mirage™ technology enables IT managed layers to be updated while maintaining end-user files and personalization.
- IT Cost Reductions — Enable Bring Your Own PC (BYOPC) and support Macs in the enterprise without having to support the system itself. This can reduce training needs by allowing employees to use their system of choice, expedite new employee on-boarding, and eliminate the cost of sending a physical laptop.
- Interoperability with AirWatch — Utilize AirWatch OS X management to provision and manage Mac OS X devices including the configuration of VMware Fusion® and the installation of desktop and application containers.
With the addition of VMware Horizon FLEX to the VMware end-user computing portfolio, customers will be able to choose between three different virtual desktop and application options from a single vendor to match their specific needs:
- VMware Horizon FLEX — A local solution with centralized controls that will enable the quick deployment of virtual Windows desktops to Mac and PC users so companies can embrace BYOPC policies without compromising security or control.
- VMware Horizon 6 — A data center solution that delivers published applications and virtual desktops on a single integrated platform to empower IT with a streamlined approach for managing Windows applications and desktops.
- VMware Horizon Air™ — A cloud solution that will deliver cost-effective enterprise-class virtual desktops that gives customers the ability to blend public and private cloud desktops for a seamless end-user experience.
So if you are looking to modernize your desktops, need help managing applications, want to be able to support BYO policies, or want better security and control then look no further than VMware. We can support many desktop and application use cases using any of our three Horizon solutions. Feel free to contact VMware if you have any questions or leave your comments in the comment section below.