VMware Advances EUC Strategy with New DaaS Offering and Mobile Updates (VMworld 2013)
By Erik Frieberg, vice president, product marketing
Today VMware made an announcement that showcases the strides we’ve been making in the End-User Computing group. It has only been six months since we first launched Horizon Suite and we are already advancing the suite with new product capabilities and partnerships that will help make supporting the mobile workforce easier for IT.
Updates to Horizon View
The first piece of exciting news is that VMware has decided to offer desktop as a service on VMware vCloud Hybrid Service (vCHS) which will help organizations quickly provision and deploy virtual desktops from the cloud. Our vision is to offer DaaS by the end of this year and a preview of this capability was demonstrated yesterday at VMworld. The VMware View DaaS offering will be a great option for customers who want to fixed price per seat offering that is delivered via the cloud.
But if you’re interested in DaaS now, many VMware vCloud partners are offering a Horizon View DaaS solution right now and many of these are showcased at VMworld.
Updates to Horizon Workspace
We’re also making it easier for IT to manage the mobile workforce by offering new VMware Ready devices, signing new mobile partnerships that will bring even more devices to market this year (Sony and HTC) and an integrated Android device and workspace management console with the integration of Horizon Mobile into Horizon Workspace 1.5.
New VMware Ready devices include:
- LG G2 will be on all major US carriers
- HTC One (Verizon)
- Motorola DROID Mini, DROID Ultra and DROID Maxx (Verizon)
This adds to the expanding line-up of VMware Ready devices already in-market that includes:
- LG Intuition (Verizon)
- Samsung Galaxy S3 and S4 (Verizon)
- Droid Razr HD (Verizon)
- Razr M by Motorola (Softbank Telecom)
However, seeing it in-person is always better than just reading it on paper so if you’re at VMworld, come by the VMware booth and see all of the EUC demos that showcase our products including the recent update to Horizon Mirage and its compatibility with Microsoft SCCM.
Here’s a list of all the EUC demos you’ll be able to checkout at our booth:
- BYOD (Bring Your Own Device): Global secure access with VMware Horizon View
- Run Virtual Machines on PCs and Macs: Demonstrating VMware Fusion and VMware Workstation
- Integrated Workspaces to Increase Productivity: Integrating enterprise applications with VMware Horizon Workspace
- Get Unified Communication on Your Desktops: Enabling scalable unified communications in a Horizon View virtual desktop
- Deliver Desktops Through the Hybrid Cloud: Flexible developer environments with Horizon View
- Simplify Application and Data Management: VMware Horizon Suite
- Automate VMware Horizon View Deployments: VMware View Configuration Tool vCT v1.0
- Using Mirage to Improve SCCM: Horizon Mirage with SCCM integration
- Provide AlwaysOn Desktops for Healthcare: AlwaysOn Desktop — the business continuity solution using Horizon View
- Enable Single Sign-On with Smart Cards for SLED: Federal CAC Secure SSO with Horizon View
- Deliver 3D Graphics to Virtual Desktops: Running Horizon View in VMware vCloud® Hybrid ServiceTM and a hosting environment
- Provide BYOD Flexibility for Students: Horizon Workspace with ThinApps, XenApps, and SaaS
- Monitor Your Entire VDI Deployment: Provide end-to-end visibility into the health, performance, and efficiency of the virtual desktop infrastructure
So swing by our booth, ask questions, meet the people who are helping to develop our products, pick-up some goodies, and most importantly have fun.
VMworld was developed with you (our customers) in mind so take advantage of everything the conference has to offer and have fun while you’re at the show.