VMware is virtualizing x86 server hardware for over a decade and since the last 10 years, SAP provides production support for VMware virtualized SAP applications. In 2014 this support got extended to virtualized SAP HANA. The next logical step for VMware was to virtualize storage and to work with SAP to get SAP HANA support for VMware vSAN.
VMware has worked with its partners to provide reliable, performant and fully SAP HANA supported hyperconverged Infrastructure solutions. These HCI solutions have been certified by the SAP ICC, to ensure these solutions meet the high demand of SAP HANA on compute, network and storage. This certification also ensures that only fully SAP and VMware supported components and server systems get used.
These co-engineered solutions use the latest Intel CPU technologies like Skylake and Cascade Lake CPU’s and as well as Intel NVMe SSD or standard SSD devices. All used hardware components are VMware vSAN certified and are listed as vSAN Ready Components or pre-configured vSAN ReadyNode™ on the VMware vSAN HCL. These components are the fundamental hardware components of a SAP HANA HCI solution, which also includes following VMware software solutions:
- VMware vSphere Enterprise Plus 6.5 update 2, 6.7 or 6.7 update 2, see SAP note 2393917 for details.
- VMware vSAN Enterprise 6.6 or 6.7, see SAP note 2718982 for details or a vendor specific SDS solution, which works with vSphere as the hypervisor.
- VMware vCenter 6.5 and later.
The result of this joint work is a tightly integrated, pre-tested, validated and SAP HANA certified turn-key solution, which allows fast, risk mitigated and easy integration into a customer datacenter, without changing the standard IT processes or operation.
What is Supported?
As of SAP Note 2718982 – SAP HANA on VMware vSphere and vSAN, following deployment options, versions and VM sizes are supported. A SAP HANA HCI vendor can build accordingly to below options its specific SAP HANA HCI solutions.
Note: The actual SAP HANA HCI vendor solution may differ from the current supported options. Like as of today no 8-socket SAP HANA HCI solution got certified. No SAP HANA support for generic vSAN ReadyNode™ systems or build-your own vSAN solutions!
Supported SAP HANA, vSphere and vSAN Versions:
- VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6.5, 6.7 and Sphere 6.7U2
- vSAN base versions 6.6 and 6.7 and the vSphere related update versions, which are included up to vSphere 6.7U2, including express patch versions. For details on vSphere and related vSAN versions read KB2150753.
- SAP HANA SPS 12 PL 19 (or later releases) for production single-VM and multi-VM use cases. See SAP Note 2393917 – SAP HANA on VMware vSphere 6.5 and 6.7 in production for detailed information and constraints. SAP HANA on vSAN has additional constraints, see next section.
HANA on vSAN Deployment Options:
- Intel Skylake or Cascade Lake 2 & 4 & 8 socket servers as of TDIv5 Model with existing boundaries (max. 6 TB RAM per SAP HANA VM, see SAP Note2393917
- e.g. Intel Xeon Gold 6148 or Intel Xeon Platinum 8280M based servers
- Minimal 3, maximal 64 nodes per SAP HANA HCI vSAN cluster.
- 4 or more nodes are recommended for optimal failure resilience, even during maintenance and for cross DC wide HA solutions required.
- SAP HANA scale-out currently not supported with VMware vSAN, but planned.
- As of today, maximum 4 SAP HANA VMs are supported per 2, 4 and 8 socket-server1
- No CPU sockets need to get reserved for vSAN1.
- Certified Hardware can be found on the certified hyperconverged infrastructure solutions
1 Please note that vSAN will need, just like ESXi, system resources. Please refer to VMware KB 2113954 for information on memory resource needs of vSAN. For SAP HANA workload sizing reasons some CPU resources need to get reserved for ESXi and vSAN.
SAP HANA HCI VMware Solution Partners
As of March 2019, five VMware partners are SAP HANA HCI certified and all use VMware software for their SAP HANA HCI solutions.
As of today, the largest SAP HANA system, which can get virtualized as scale-up is a 6 TB instance on the Fujitsu certified HCI solution.
Please check out the SAP HANA Certified Hyper-Converged Infrastructure Solutions web page for details and the latest certified solutions and vendors.
Partner specific documentation:
- Key Factors for SAP HANA Customers Considering HCI for Production Workloads
- VMware IT: Running SAP HANA on vSAN
- Non-SAP HANA and SAP HANA Apps on vSAN
VMware Technical Documents: