In my last blog post, we discussed some of the new features and capabilities found in vCenter Server 6.0 such as how you can quickly and easily update the vCenter Server Appliance 6.0 to Update 1.
Now, it’s time to focus our attention on a two key enhancements found in vCenter Server 6.0 Update 1 – both the appliance and Windows-based form factors:
- Reconfigure – You can now reconfigure an embedded deployment node to an external deployment model, also known as MxN.
- Repoint – Simplified repointing of a management node in an external deployment model from one external Platform Services Controller to another external Platform Services Controller.
Why is this important?
The reconfiguration enhancement enables you to take an existing embedded deployment and transition it to a more optimal external deployment model – MxN. There is also the simplified ability to repoint a management node to another Platform Services Controller which enables you to quickly recover from an external Platform Services Controller failure and to distribute load to alternate nodes that are in the same SSO domain.
Before moving forward with either the reconfigure or repoint operations, there is a key set of requirements that you need to meet.
- The vCenter Server instance must be an embedded deployment model.
- The target Platform Services Controller must be a replication partner of the existing embedded Platform Services Controller in the same SSO Domain.
Note: In vCenter Server 6.0 Update 1, we only support a single transition from embedded deployment to a external deployment (MxN) model for per SSO domain. See the Known Issues section of the Release Notes for additional details.
- The vCenter Server instance must be an external deployment model.
- The target Platform Services Controller must be a replication partner of the existing external Platform Services Controller in the same SSO Domain.
We’ve introduced an update to cmsso-util in vCenter Server 6.0 Update 1. This utility can be found in:
- VCSA: /bin/cmsso-util
- Windows: <Drive>:\Program Files\VMware\vCenter Server\bin\cmsso-util
This utility automates the entire process by passing the new required namespace (either reconfigure or repoint) and its arguments. For example, with the VCSA, the namespaces would be:
- VCSA: /bin/cmsso-util reconfigure
- VCSA: /bin/cmsso-util repoint
Okay, so, how do we do it? Well, let’s see both namespace options in action in the vCenter Server Appliance (VCSA). Note that the cmsso-util namespaces and arguments are the same for a vCenter Server 6.0 Update 1 instance installed on Windows.