VMware vCenter Multi-Hypervisor Manager is a component that enables support for heterogeneous hypervisors in a VMware vCenter Server environment. It provides the following benefits to your virtual environment:
When you add a third-party host to vCenter Server, all virtual machines that exist on the host are discovered automatically, and are added to the third-party hosts inventory.
The ability of vCenter Multi-Hypervisor Manager to migrate virtual machines from third-party hosts to ESX or ESXi hosts is implemented by exposing the capabilities of vCenter Converter Standalone in the vSphere Client. See VMware KB article 2048927 for information about dependency between vCenter Multi-Hypervisor Manager and vCenter Converter Standalone.
vCenter Multi-Hypervisor Manager 1.1 introduces the following set of basic management capabilities over third-party hosts:
- Third-party host management including add, remove, connect, disconnect, and view the host configuration.
- Ability to migrate virtual machines from third-party hosts to ESX or ESXi hosts.
- Ability to provision virtual machines on third-party hosts.
- Ability to edit virtual machine settings.
- Integrated vCenter Server authorization mechanism across ESX/ESXi and third-party hosts inventories for privileges, roles, and users.
- Automatic discovery of pre-existing third-party virtual machines
- Ability to perform power operations with hosts and virtual machines.
- Ability to connect and disconnect DVD, CD-ROM, and floppy drives and images to install operating systems.
What's New in Multi-Hypervisor Manager v1.1
The VMware vCenter Multi-Hypervisor Manager 1.1 is a minor release that introduces the following new capabilities:
- Migration of virtual machines from Hyper-V to ESX or ESXi hosts.
- Support for the latest Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor (as well as earlier Hyper-V versions).
- Increase in the number of supported third-party hosts to 50 from 20 in vCenter Multi-Hypervisor Manager 1.0.
- Ability to manage custom certificates for the vCenter Multi-Hypervisor Manager server from the installer wizard.
- Ability to select multiple objects in the UI of the vCenter Multi-Hypervisor Manager plug-in and a number of other usability improvements.
- Ability to generate vCenter Multi-Hypervisor Manager log bundle from Windows Start menu.
- Bug fixes.
How to Obtain vCenter Multi-Hypervisor Manager
You can download vCenter Multi-Hypervisor Manager for vCenter Server from the Download VMware vSphere 5.1 Update 1 page here. Click View Download of a VMware vCenter Server 5.1 Update 1 and modules product line, and scroll to the bottom of the page. To use the latest migration feature of vCenter Multi-Hypervisor Manager, you need to download and install a supported version of VMware vCenter Converter Standalone from here.