Michael Roy, a Sr. Technical Marketing Manager for vCloud Air at VMware, recently wrote a great article on the vCloud Air blog about Workstation 11 built-in integration with VMware vCloud® Air™. Michael goes through step-by-step on how to upload a VM right from the Workstation 11 Interface to vCloud Air. Links to the Blog Post are below:
Posted on February 26, 2015 by Michael Roy
Also Kudos to Michael for unlocking the nested achievement badge with Workstation 11 as shown above. As Mike stated “Workstation 11 is actually running in VMware Fusion 7.1.0, managing my workloads in vCloud Air. That’s pretty meta (oh, and it’s running inside Windows 10 Preview, because why not?).”
Many Thanks to the Michael Roy in the vCloud Team on highlighting some great features in Workstation 11.
February 1999 marked a key milestone at VMware with the first public appearance of VMware 1.0 (a.k.a Workstation) at the DEMO 99 technology conference. Demo 99 was the leading computer industry conference in 1999 focused exclusively on emerging technologies and cutting edge new products. Even today, VMware is listed on the DEMO website as one of their key success stories from a launchpad event.
In honor of VMware’s first product appearance at Demo 99 we’re celebrating this milestone with a great sale on VMware Workstation 11 and Player 7 Pro.
- Buy Workstation 11 and get 20% off
- Upgrade to Workstation 11 from Workstation 9 or 10 and get 20% off
VMware Player Pro:
- Buy Player 7 Pro and get 20% off
- Upgrade to Player 7 Pro from Player 6 Plus and get 20% off
This offer ends on February 27th at 11:59 PM Pacific Time.
A new update is available for VMware Workstation 11 and Player 7 Pro. The new update included fixes for Workstation 11 and Player 7 in addition to new features in Workstation 11.
What’s New for Workstation 11.1.0
This specific release of Workstation 11 adds support for VMware vCloud Air Virtual Private Cloud OnDemand and includes bug fixes.
About Virtual Private Cloud OnDemand:
Virtual Private Cloud OnDemand is a secure, pay-as-you-go, cloud computing service offered by VMware that gives IT organizations a VMware compatible platform to create virtual machines, dynamically scale virtual machines and resources up or down, and pay for resources allocated.
- Virtual Private Cloud OnDemand provides on-demand resources with granular metering and usage-based billing.
- Resources are pool-based, allowing deployment of virtual machines with customized configurations.
- Costs are billed monthly only for the aggregate amount of resources consumed across all of your virtual machines.
- On-demand resources complement the subscription services for vCloud Air.
Note: VMware vCloud Air connection features are only available in VMware Workstation 11 and requires a subscription/account to VMware vCloud Air. More information on VMware vCloud Air services is available HERE.
VMware Workstation 11.1.0
- VMware Workstation 11.1.0 is a maintenance release that is a free update for all VMware Workstation 11.x customers. Read the Release Notes for more details.
VMware Player Pro 7.1.0
- VMware Player 7.1.0 is a maintenance release that is a free update for all VMware Player 7.x customers. Read the Release Notes for more details.
How to get the updates
VMware Workstation 11 will prompt you to download the update the next time you run it. You can manually check for the update from the “Help” -> “Software Updates” menu item.
VMware Player 7 will prompt you to download the update the next time you run it. You can manually check for the update from the “Player” -> “Help” -> “Software Updates” menu item.
PLEASE NOTE: VMware Workstation 11 includes a copy of VMware Player 7 for commercial use. If you have VMware Workstation 11 you do not need to download VMware Player 7 separately since it is included in the VMware Workstation 11 download.
Many thanks to the Workstation 11 and Player 7 customers reporting these issues to Workstation Support and discussing them with the VMware Workstation Community.