I have some exciting news. The VMware Workstation 7.1 Release Candidate (RC) is now available! This release candidate is the latest public pre-release build of VMware Workstation 7.1.
If you are currently participating in the beta, you will be automatically prompted that the new version is available to be downloaded and installed. If you disabled automatic software updates, you should check for updates manually or download the latest version from the VMware Workstation Beta Community. Even if you did not participate in the earlier betas, you can download the RC from the VMware Workstation Beta Community.
If you are using the current expiring beta serial number, you will need to enter the following License Key into the Workstation Help -> Enter Serial Number dialog:
License Key: M148Z-H010J-H8T8C-0JAUK-ADM4C
We have made several improvements based on the feedback provided during the beta testing.
Key improvements since the VMware Workstation 7.1 beta include:
• Faster Graphics: Improved performance and better compatibility for both DirectX 9 and OpenGL 3D apps
• OVF Tool 2.0: A brand new version of the OVF Tool is included to import and export OVF packaged virtual machines and upload virtual machines to vSphere
• Memory Management: New UI to handle increased virtual memory capacity
• New Guests: Support for Ubuntu 10.04 and RHEL 5.5 added
• Reported Issues: This release candidate addresses many of the issues reported via the beta forums
Please update your beta installation to the release candidate and let us know what you think.
Release notes are available here.
Don’t forget to try out the VMware Player 3.1 RC.