Today, VMware has posted the Workstation 7.0 Release Candidate. It is publically available for all of our customers and loyal fans to download and try out!
The Release Candidate can be downloaded from: http://communities.vmware.com/community/beta/workstation
New versions of VMware ACE and VMware Player are also available (Player has a new twist that we are very excited about!!!!)
Some of the new features in the Workstation Release Candidate include (stolen from the marketing text…):
- Full Windows 7 Host and Guest support including the ability to run Aero! (kinda obvious from the pic above)
- Improved 3D Graphics for Windows guests with OpenGL and Shader Model 3.0 support
- Support for over many new OSs including Windows Server 2008 R2, Debian 5, and ESX (Yes, you can vMotion!)
- Create Virtual Machines with up to four processors and/or four cores and 32 GB of memory
- ThinPrint integration enables virtual printing and makes the host printers available within the guest
- Smart Card enhancements to enable secure authentication
- 256-bit AES encryption of your virtual machines
- ALSA sound for Linux users!!!
- Dynamic update of VMware Tools
- Drag and Drop now works with formatted text, graphics and file attachments
- AutoProtect your VMs with the ability to regularly schedule snapshots to be created
- Pause a VM to instantly free up your processor
- Replay Debugging is even more powerful and now works remotely
- A redesigned Virtual Network Editor that is much easier to use
We can’t share our targeted release date (so please don’t ask) and we don’t have any pricing or upgrade information available yet, but we don’t anticipate a radical change from what we have today! But we will keep you posted.
We look forward to getting your feedback, our team is closely monitoring the forums and are anxious to see what bugs you find!