[Updated many times, the latest Tuesday night.]
I’ll update this entry with coverage of Paul’s Tuesday keynote as it becomes available.
- virtualization.com liveblog (updated with excellent Q&A session notes)
- Scott Lowe liveblog
- Rich Brambley liveblog and Q&A session liveblog
- Ryan Marimon @ VMhero — with pix!
- Paul Kusnetzky @ ZDNet
- Dave Siles
- Yan from CohesiveFT
- pictures from the keynote by Marnix Vrambout
- Michael Keen with his take on the keynote.
- Bob Plankers thought it was "evolutionary, not revolutionary, but good nonetheless." [I like how VDC-OS is a big vision backed up by these understandable evolutionary steps. –jtroyer]
- virtualization.info I don’t agree with Alessandro on SMB — although the vision talks about the datacenter, medium businesses may be among the first to use excess capacity from a federated cloud.
- EMC’s Bill Petro
- EMC’s Mark Twomey likes what he heard. Maritz sends VMworld into orbit.
I’ve never been a VMware die hard but with the vision VMware has right now it’s a crown jewel. Irreplaceable. If you didn’t own some or all of it you’d now wish you did. What would you swap it for in IT? I don’t know? Do you?
Extra special Virtually Anything is Possible, even having Apple Update pop up during the keynote.
And the journos weigh in. Am I unfair in stereotyping them as playing up the competition aspect of this morning’s keynote rather than the technological vision (ie, the cool part)?
- Patrick Thibodeau @ Computerworld: VMware CEO Paul Maritz says operating systems being ‘deconstructed’
- Paula Rooney @ ZDNet Maritz: VMware’s Virtual DataCenter OS, VMware View is better next gen operating system than Windows and Hyper-V
- Scott Fergusion @ eWeek VMware CEO Maritz Addresses Virtualization, the Cloud and Challenges from Microsoft
- Bridget Botelho @ SearchServerVirtualization VMworld 2008 kicks off with address from new CEO Paul Maritz
- Jeff James @ Windows IT Pro does focus on the tech VMworld 2008: Maritz Discusses VDC-OS, vCloud, vClient
- And Keith Ward of Virtualization Review actually says that Paul didn’t address competitive issues enough. What VMware’s Maritz Did Not Say
We were all set for the Twitter questions, and then Paul ran out of
time. (You might have seen the Twitter screen at the end.) We hope that
Steve can address them tomorrow.
I see future where your vInfrastructure tells you you need more
capacity and can direct you to vCloud provider to close gap
– nice description of bluelock as well and only paying for cloud time
as needed. B-hive has a nice network dashboard. Headed to …
thevirtualdc: #vmworld– the b-hive/appspeed demo went great. Moving VMs (vapp service) in and
out of the cloud as usage need dictatated, managed by gtm.
– cool demo where VMware automatically learned and measured app perf.
Then it automatically provisioned more VMs to handle high load
– "once your vapp vservice is virtual & stable, you can move parts
of your vapp in and out of the cloud as you wish. Total mobi …
virgilwashere: Hey Nigel – ruby on rails getting a mention at vmworld keynote