We had a great call this morning on the sixth episode of the little podcast we like to call "VMware Communities Roundtable." Our focus was on automation and scripting of VMware Virtual Infrastructure. Joining us were Carter Shanklin, product manager for the VI Toolkit (for Windows) that uses PowerShell and a very useful set of commands to make a new tool that should be in every VI admin’s toolbox. Also joining us was Andrew Kutz, VI programmer, plugin-maker, and toolkit maker extraordinaire. As always, listen by clicking over to the right or download the mp3 directly. (49:56 duration)
- www.vmware.com/go/powershell – the home page for the VI Toolkit (for Windows) (aka PowerShell toolkit) on the VMware site
- blogs.vmware.com/vipowershell – the blog for said toolkit. I talked about Carter’s two blog entries using spreadsheets and PowerShell, but if you’re interested in this at all, just go read the all the posts. You’ll get the hang of it by the time you’ve skimmed them.
- communities.vmware.com/community/developer/windows_toolkit – the developer community
- we talked about several PowerShell books.
- Fun with PowerShell and VMware from Mike Laverick
- vip-svmotion.sourceforge.net – SVMotion plugin
- vitfordotnet.sourceforge.net – VI toolkit for .NET
- vijava.sourceforge.net – VI Java
- akutz.wordpress.com – Andrew Kutz’s blog
- a profile of Andrew at the VMware Developer Center blog
- Andrew’s articles at SearchServerVirtualization.com
That’s it for this week — see you next Wednesday.