First introduced at VMworld 2016, the VMware vCloud NFV hands on lab (HOL) is now available online! The lab is designed for Network Function Virtualisation (NFV) practitioners, architects and decision makers looking to better understand the value of NFV. The lab shows how fast new Voice over LTE (VoLTE) services can be introduced using automation and orchestration in an NFV architecture.
Built with the support of VMware NFV partners, the lab comprises Orchestration from Gigaspaces‘ Cloudify and Virtual Network Functions (VNFs) from Athonet . The VNFs include a virtual IP Multimedia Subsystem (vIMS) and virtual Evolved Packet Core (vEPC). VMware vCloud NFV delivers the NFV Infrastructure (NFVI) and the Virtual Infrastructure Manager (VIM) components to form a common, horizontal, NFV platform of compute, storage and networking.
The Lab demonstrates:
- Modeling, application blueprinting, provisioning, configuration, VNFs deployment, end-to-end service activation.
- Managing the above with Cloudify from the NFV Orchestration (NFVO) layer using Topology Orchestration Specification for Cloud Application (TOSCA) based Orchestration.
- Scale in and scale out of the vIMS and vEPC environments.
1. Getting started (15 minutes, beginner level)
2. TOSCA-based blueprinting and modelling (30 minutes, advanced level)
3. VoLTE solution deployment (30 minutes, advanced level)
4. Lifecycle management of a VoLTE core (30 minutes, advanced level)
This NFV Hands-On-Labs is now available globally to anyone from anywhere on the public internet 24/7/365, until December 1st, 2017.
On completing the lab users will have learned how a strong NFVI infrastructure, such as VMware vCloud NFV, enables easy installation, modeling, service activation and deployment of end-to-end services. The lab provides a background to the design, deployment and management, including ‘day-2’ operationalisation, of NFV services generally.
For technical information about the lab please contact Dharma Rajan at firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on VMware NFV solutions:
VMware NFV Solutions: http://www.vmware.com/go/nfv
VMware Customer and Partner Testimonials: http://www.telecomtv.com/articles/vmware/
vCloud NFV hands on lab http://labs.hol.vmware.com/HOL/catalogs/lab/2747