The 5G era is here and Communications Service Providers (CSPs) are now evaluating ways to translate investments in spectrum, PoCs and equipment into revenue. To leverage the enormous opportunity 5G brings, CSPs are traversing many industry-firsts. Arguably one of the most important firsts involves transitioning network infrastructure, from the core to the RAN, to use open and disaggregated software and hardware. This change offers CSPs potential cost savings, more flexibility and wider vendor choice.
The challenges are profound, and CSPs are turning to VMware and Intel, trusted solution providers for decades, for guidance and answers. Over the last year, VMware released a wide array of telco solutions while nurturing a growing partner ecosystem, and the pace of innovation is not slowing down. As such we are happy to sponsor TelecomTV’s Telco Innovation Summit with our partners Intel, to highlight stories from telcos already living 5G, and to showcase promising recent product releases. The summit airs on November 11th, 2021, at 4pm GMT, 5pm CET, 11am EDT and 8am PDT.
The broadcast will be accompanied by full session recordings available for on-demand viewing.
So who and what can you expect to see at the Telco Innovation Summit?
- VMware’s CEO, Raghu Raghuram will explore the concept of multi-cloud enterprise sovereignty, and the benefits of adopting Open RAN and the RAN Intelligent Controller (RIC).
- Dish Network’s Sidd Chenmolu will provide a progress update on the company’s 5G network rollout.
- BT’s Chet Patel will review how the company’s digital transformation and modernization is helping it anticipate the needs of global customers.
- Rogers Communications’ Bryce Mitchell will share details of his company’s hybrid- and multi-cloud transition while launching 5G services.
- Industry FUD over the performance superiority of bare metal vs. hypervisors has been prevalent for a while. With speed and efficiency being critical to the next generation of RAN installations, the lack of facts and tests is not helping CSPs in the process of evaluating solutions.
- Edge Computing is another hot topic. Sanjay Uppal, SVP of the Service Provider and Edge Business Unit (SEBU) will join Dan Rodriguez, Intel’s Corporate Vice President, GM Network Platforms Group to offer their interpretations of the edge and review the inspiring innovation emerging in this space.
- To demonstrate Edge Computing’s potential impact on CSPs, the summit will offer a showcase for several promising solutions: These range from Ori’s edge management offerings and ASOCS private 5G, through Accedian’s QoS monitoring and Broadpeak’s Edge CDN solution, to Vapor IO’s micro data centers.
- Security remains important to CSPs and their enterprise customers. 5G is posing unique challenges securing data centers, while the work from anywhere workforce is posing its own challenges for IT teams.
- Following the announcement that Nokia’s class-leading Core network functions are supported on VMware’s Telco Cloud Platform, Jitin Bhandari, CTO, Cloud and Network Services at Nokia and Lakshmi Mandayam, VMware’s VP Product Management, SEBU, will discuss how this collaboration will enable CSPs to accelerate their shift to cloud-native technology and will look ahead to the future of the relationship.
- The Open RAN architecture offers the promise of the RAN Intelligent Controller (RIC), unlocking near-real-time network data to enable the creation of a variety of applications processing that data. Appledore Research’s Francis Haysom will help us understand the benefits of using the data the RIC unlocks, and will discuss the technology with Stephen Spellicy, VP Product Marketing SEBU, VMware and Cristina Rodriguqez, Vice President in the Data Center Group and General Manager of the Wireless Access Network Division at Intel.
To further illustrate examples of the RIC’s capability, Intel’s VP and GM, 5G Infrastructure Division, Network Platform Group, Caroline Chan, will speak with innovators from Polte, Cohere, Cellwize and Capgemini Engineering. They will discuss their integration with VMware’s recently launched RIC product to access RIC data, and how it can help CSPs optimize and monetize their networks.
- CSPs are either exploring or working on Multi-cloud initiatives, though network complexity and scale remain challenging. CSPs want the ability to control where network functions run – on-premises or in the cloud, without sacrificing performance, security or cost. TelecomTV’s Ray La Maistre will discuss these challenges and how they are addressed by VMware’s newly-released Telco Cloud Platform for Public Cloud with the company’s Stephen Spellicy.
- Finally, for those looking for a glimpse into the future and what 6G will bring, will not want to miss Guy Daniels’ interview with VMware’s Kaniz Mahdi.
In summary – the event highlights the surge of innovation in the cloud, the RAN and the Edge, and offers thought-provoking ideas that CSPs, software developers and system integrators looking to win 5G and the next G must consider. All you need to do is block off time on your calendar and register to watch!