Lots of stuff in this announcement, so read on!
Fusion 8.5 Now Available!
Start your upgrade engines, Fusion 8.5 is here!
We’re very proud of our team for achieving this milestone release, which is available as a free update for Fusion 8 customers!
New features include:
- Support for Windows 10 Anniversary Guests
- Support for macOS Sierra Host and Guest
- Ready for Windows Server 2016
- Tabbed View Support
- Siri Support
- Bug Fixes
- Free for 8.0 Customers!
Grab the bits here: vmware.com/go/getfusion or use the built-in Software Update feature.
We chose to make this a free release for current customers for a few reasons, but largely: “We hear from our users year on year that having to pay for something as small as a minor operating system release gets a little long in the tooth” . Theres a lot going on at VMware this year giving us an opportunity to pause and focus, (but we’re not dead!) so we extended that opportunity to our users with a free upgrade that supports the latest from Apple and Microsoft, while still managing to squeeze in support for a couple of interesting features largely with the help of Apple: Tabs and Siri.
We also want everyone on the current version, so we’ve extended our upgrade price eligibility going back as far as Fusion 4.0… So, if you’re on Fusion 4, 5 or 6 you can qualify for a huge discount on the price of Fusion. (Oh, and we’re also giving you an additional 15% off Fusion 8 upgrades for 2 days only, and and 33% off Fusion 8 Pro upgrades!! We must be crazy… Or we love our users… you decide!)
Virtual Reality Contest
Oh, and while we’re here, did you hear about our Virtual Reality giveaway? All you have to do is tell us in 30 seconds to a minute ‘Why you love Fusion or Workstation’ and an interesting tale that is unique to you. All the details are available here: store.vmware.com/oculus
VMworld 2016: We Love Fusion and Workstation!
We did a session at VMworld which you can check out here and spoke with some of our fans afterward, here what they have to say about Fusion and Workstation!
Full Release Notes can be found here
Bug fixes in this release include:
- MS Office applications in Windows virtual machine would sometimes not open the attachment in the mail application on Mac. This issue is resolved.
- After you import a Parallels 11 virtual machine into VMware Fusion, attempting to power on the virtual machine would fail with the error “Inaccessible Boot Device.”. This issue is resolved.
- When the Full Screen Minibar was hidden at the edge of the screen, hovering the cursor over it would not make it appear. This issue is resolved.
- Fusion could crash when you attempt to create a remote virtual machine on vCenter Server 5.5. This issue is resolved.
- On the Ubuntu 15.10 and later versions guest OS, when you replace open-vm-tools with the VMware Tools version bundled with VMware Fusion, VMware Tools may not work as expected. After you reboot the system, an Ubuntu crash report might appear and one of the services in VMware Tools might stop working. This issue is resolved.
- Attempts to drag and drop files between the host and a Mac OS virtual machine occasionally fail. This issue is resolved.
We will be issuing point releases to address any issues that may come up after macOS Sierra reaches General Availability later this month.
Hope you enjoy!