Viewing your Windows Programs without seeing Windows

Over the past year we have spent a great deal of time traveling around the country training customers and sales people on all the features of VMware Fusion 4. Without question the feature that always impressed people the most was Unity, and now with VMware Fusion 4, unity has been even further refined. With that said, let’s talk about how to enable and utilize Unity in VMware Fusion 4.

Unity Mode is a feature in VMware Fusion 4 that allows users to isolate individual Windows Applications and interact with them as though they were Mac Applications. This is perfect for those times that you want to run Windows programs side by side with Mac Apps. It’s also a great feature for those that want to have access to Windows Applications without having to interact with Windows.

You can enable unity in a few different ways.

To enable unity mode while you are in Single Window click the unity button.

Untitled 3

To enable unity from from Full Screen, select unity from the Full Screen Menu Bar

Full screen unity

Once you enable Unity you will see Windows fade away, and you are left with just your Windows applications, from here you can interact with your Windows Programs in exactly the same way you do your Mac apps.

Unity Multiple Apps

You can use command tab to move between applications

Dock + Command Tab

Even save you Windows programs to the dock for instant access.

Windows Icons

Once inside unity you can quickly access and launch additional Windows programs by clicking the Application Menu from the OS X Menu bar.  Simply type in the Windows program you are looking for and double click to launch.

App Menu Screen Shot

New to VMware Fusion 4 is the ability to utilize Mission Control with Unity.  Simply swipe up on the track pad with three fingers to go into Mission Control.

Mission Control

If you would like additional information on how to best utilize Unity in VMware Fusion 4 check out the “Running Windows Programs Without Seeing Windows” video at the VMware Fusion Learning Center.

11 thoughts on “Viewing your Windows Programs without seeing Windows

1. Robert

Can I also use Unity to setup the default program to open a document to be a Windows app? For instance, if I receive a Word or Excel document and double-click to open, can I set it that it then opens it in Word/Excel?

2. Customer

Appreciate these tips! @Robert. You totally can set Fusion to open your Windows apps. Go to settings, Default applications, and hit the check mark next to Open your mac files using Mac applications.

3. Robert

@Customer. Thanks for the quick reply, but I actually meant it to work the other way around. I have a VM open in unity and the VM has (the windows version of) MS Office installed. I then receive an email (in my Mac Mail app) with a Word document or Excel document attached.
    What I would like is that I open that attachment and it opens in the Word or Excel app in the VM.
    May be wishful thinking, but is such a thing possible?

4. news article

With almost everything which appears to be building throughout this particular area, many of your perspectives are generally relatively exciting. Nonetheless, I am sorry, because I can not give credence to your whole idea, all be it stimulating none the less. It would seem to everybody that your opinions are actually not completely justified and in reality you are generally yourself not really entirely convinced of your assertion. In any case I did take pleasure in reading through it.

5. Victoria

Quick question. So I love this option, but can I shut down my computer without having to switch back to the one window of everything? Or could I leave it up for the next time I use my computer? I am a full time student and use my computer every day but I like to shut down ever night. So if I used “unity view” would I have to switch back to the one window? Thanks so much!

6. amway home

My spouse and I stumbled over here from a different page and thought I should check things out.

I like what I see so i am just following you.
    Look forward to finding out about your web page for a second time.

Here is my webpage :: amway home

7. 3m professional car care products

I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This piece of writing posted at this site is truly fastidious.

8. 42 largest stainless samsung side by side refrigerators white

Can I simply just say what a comfort to uncover a person that truly knows
    what they’re discussing online. You certainly understand how to bring a problem to light and make it important.
    More and more people need to look at this and understand
    this side of your story. It’s surprising you aren’t more popular given that you
    surely have the gift.

9. David M. Morrow

It truly is nearly unthinkable to come across well-qualified individual on this subject, however, you seem like you know what you’re preaching about! Regards

10. Clouds

He found their bright lightning only if he have to tell you that you can be pretty. The sweetest blogger is the collection for which he love around his world. You have to write intense updates. Bright Lightning!

11. Development

My only journal is all for which she cares about around his world. I want to produce scary addons! Cupcakes! They landed on the mega blast tech among them while which the man will have to scream that you have me at bright.