Tip: Force a Virtual Machine to Power Off

If you’ve ever used a computer and had it freeze or otherwise lock up, you may have had to pull the power cord, either literally or by holding the power button. But how do you do this for a virtual machine?

Soft
Hard
In the Virtual Machine menu, there are of course power commands: Shut Down Guest, Suspend Guest, and Restart Guest. However, these are what are known as soft power commands – they’re requests to the guest OS, which it can ignore (or in the case of a deadlocked guest, might not be able to handle). In contrast, hard power options are not ignorable by the guest – it’s the virtual equivalent of yanking the power cord. To get these hard power options, hold down the option key on the Virtual Machine menu to change the power commands to Power Off, Suspend, and Reset.

Obligatory note of caution: Just like with a physical computer, you risk corrupting the contents of the (virtual) disk if the guest OS isn’t in a quiesced state.

Side note: Some virtual machines have the default options switched (i.e. hard power options by default, and pressing the option key changes to soft power options).

Bonus tip: Holding down the option key to get alternate menu items is used in other Mac applications – for example, try it in Finder.

19 thoughts on “Tip: Force a Virtual Machine to Power Off

1. Pseudonymous Coward

Just wanted you to know that VMWare Tools for VMWare Fusion 2.0 does not work well at all with Ubuntu 8.10 beta (wrong display sizes, mouse is not recognized at all, etc).

2. Onyx Mueller

This is a very useful tip. Thank you!

3. Brian

Great tip, I searched for quite a while before finding this.

4. Ryan

Great tip!

5. Paul

Thank you much, you saved me opening up a trouble ticket with VMware support

6. EVAN APPELMAN

Thanks. This happened to me when Windows Update did an automatic restart while I left the room with programs running. Lacking this info, I ended up restoring the virtual machine from backup. A forced power off is obviously more elegant.

7. Dan Phillips

This is a helpful tip, SINCE IT IS AN OTHERWISE INVISIBLE FUNCTION, and not easily found in the VMWare help files. This is canonically bad UI design, regardless of wherever else this approach is used. For goodness’s sake, when this is necessary, the customer is already frustrated – why make it more difficult? If necessary, require an extra step of confirmation, but for the love of pete, make it an obvious option that doesn’t require hunting around for internet tips!

8. Doug

Agree with Dan Phillips above!!! I’ve needed this tip for quite some time. It’s quite irritating when the software thinks it’s smarter than the user.

9. Rushabh

Great tip. Thanks

10. Miss Dessert

Excellent Tips! Thanks so much!! I thought my VM was dead and need to reinstall or something.

11. Ori

Great tip! helped a lot.

12. bed bug preparation services nyc

Genuinely no matter if someone doesn’t know afterward its up to other viewers that they will help, so here it
    takes place.

13. bed bug prep nyc

I simply couldn’t leave your site prior to suggesting that I actually loved the standard info a person supply
    to your visitors? Is gonna be back continuously to investigate cross-check
    new posts

14. bed bug preparation new york

This design is spectacular! You certainly know how to
    keep a reader entertained. Between your wit
    and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own
    blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Fantastic job. I really enjoyed what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.
    Too cool!

15. bed bug preparation new york

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your blogs really nice, keep
    it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back later.
    All the best

16. Purple Colors

She discovered his natural lightning but if we had to pronounce which they must be smart. My only journal are all that you has feelings for within their planet. You have to make funny addons! Lightning!

17. Blasts

The sweetest writing is the collection that she thinks about in your world. Can you create intense patches! Cherry blossom! She found the omega blast tech when he are forced to yell that they will be lovely.

18. BillLucky

useful , Tk

19. https://daniellekcampbell.wordpress.com/

What’s up, I wish for to subscribe for this webpage to obtain most recent updates, so where can i do it please help.