We are pleased to announce the availability of Performance Best Practices for vSphere 5.5. This is a book designed to help system administrators obtain the best performance from vSphere 5.5 deployments.
The book addresses many of the new features in vSphere 5.5 from a performance perspective. These include:
- vSphere Flash Read Cache, a new feature in vSphere 5.5 allowing flash storage resources on the ESXi host to be used for read caching of virtual machine I/O requests.
- VMware Virtual SAN (VSAN), a new feature (in beta for vSphere 5.5) allowing storage resources attached directly to ESXi hosts to be used for distributed storage and accessed by multiple ESXi hosts.
- The VMware vFabric Postgres database (vPostgres).
We’ve also updated and expanded on many of the topics in the book. These include:
- Running storage latency and network latency sensitive applications
- NUMA and Virtual NUMA (vNUMA)
- Memory overcommit techniques
- Large memory pages
- Receive-side scaling (RSS), both in guests and on 10 Gigabit Ethernet cards
- VMware vMotion, Storage vMotion, and Cross-host Storage vMotion
- VMware Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS) and Distributed Power Management (DPM)
- VMware Single Sign-On Server
The book can be found here.