In case you missed my last post, I covered how to keep vRealize Operations simple in my interview with Hicham Mourad and with his VMworld 2016 session – The KISS of vRealize Operations. Make sure you check it out if you haven’t read it (well, watched it) as the interview is good but the VMworld session is GREAT – for anyone who uses vRealize Operations.
In this post, I’d like to talk about something that every user of vRealize Operations does – Troubleshooting. One of the most popular sessions at VMworld 2016 this year was MGT7629 360 Degree Troubleshooting 101 with VMware’s Karl Fultz and United Health Group’s Paul Green – which I’ve linked to the full session, below. I wish that I could have caught this session live at VMworld but I wasn’t able to so I made sure that I watched it, just now. After watching, it comes as no surprise as to why it was one of the top sessions because, in the short (less than 1 hour), session I learned:
- How to use vRealize Operations Manager and vRealize Log Insight to resolve problems faster (and also that the vRealize Suites are now packaged into standard, advanced, and enterprise instead of the old vRealize Operations Insight, or vROI)
- How events in Log Insight events are now tagged tagged with vROps relationships, how you can open vROps in context from vRealize Log Insight, how you can hover over tags in vRealize Log Insight to display associated information from vRealize Operations, and how Log Insight alerts have been enhanced to provide more detailed information.
- The new homescreen dashboard in vRealize Operations 6.3 and how to use it for faster troubleshooting
- About the vRealize Log Insight agent that is available for vRealize Operations so that you can troubleshoot vROps in Log Insight (you don’t want to just enable syslog on vROps and pick that up with Log Insight – you need to use the Log Insight agent)
- How Paul Green at Optum (part of United Health Group) uses vRealize Operations and Log Insight, together, to manage, monitor and troubleshoot 50,000 virtual servers and workstations.
Watch the full sessions below!
VMworld 2016 USA MGT7629R 360 Degree Troubleshooting
In summary, vROps is a great troubleshooting tool for complex, modern datacenters and these VMworld video show you how (also the KISS of vRealize Operations). If you aren’t already using vRealize Operations you can download and try it free for 60 days. You can also try in the VMware Hands-on Labs. Or if you don’t have the latest vRealize Operations (version 6.3 at the time of this blog), then make sure that you upgrade to get the latest features that were discussed here.