You’ve decided that Windows 10 is in your future. Maybe you’ve even got designs on what that future should look like. But how do you get there? How do you move your legacy XP machines? How do you move your 32-bit Windows 7 machines?
Your existing PC estate is vast, complex and interlinked. Regardless of how amazing you are as an administrator, it contains many unknowns and “gotchas” that have been burned into the images and control scripts by countless admins before you.
VMware can help. We have a sophisticated portfolio of tools that can help you break your problem into discrete, manageable tasks.
- We have VMware User Environment Manager, which can decouple the PC from its user data, bloated profiles and help you tackle your unmaintainable logon scripts.
- We have VMware App Volumes, which ring fences your applications, including the user-installed ones, and packages them for dynamic delivery to whole groups of people in a single click.
- We have VMware Horizon 7, which can deliver the entire Windows experience dynamically to any device of your users’ choosing.
- We have VMware AirWatch, which enables instant cloud delivery of OS policies, patches, and apps for Windows 10 devices across any network and use case.
- And finally, we have VMware Workspace ONE, which integrates access control, app delivery, and multi-platform endpoint management into a simple and secure digital workspace platform.
So how exactly do you complete the one-time operation of moving what you physically have, to what you want—virtual or otherwise? The answer is VMware Mirage.
Migrating to Windows 10 with Mirage
Mirage streamlines the two most common migration approaches: 1) upgrading an existing Windows device, in place, to Windows 10 or 2) migrating a user’s profile and files in a hardware-refresh process from their previous device to a new one.
When performing an in-place upgrade, you can deploy a Windows 10 base layer (with Win10-compatible apps already built in) to a collection of users. That base layer will upgrade the local operating system (OS) to Windows 10, but it will not delete or overwrite the users’ personal files or profile. Seeding the AirWatch agent as part of the base layer automates enrollment into MDM, allowing you to smoothly transition to modern, cloud-first Windows 10 management. This approach greatly reduces the time you have to spend getting users back up and running, and it greatly reduces downtime.
When leveraging a hardware refresh cycle, you can seamlessly migrate all the users’ personal files and profile from the old devices over to the new Windows 10 devices.
In addition, Mirage takes a full snapshot of the original Windows system before the migration begins. Should a failure occur on any endpoint during the migration, the user can be quickly restored to their previous system, without downtime or fire drills.
Read more about how renting Mirage for six months can fast track your Windows 10 adoption.
VMware offers an extensive library of online tools so you can experience our products without installing the software. Try the Windows 10 Mirage Migration Hands-on Lab #1753 today.