Folks we are very excited to announce the release of new version of vSphere OpenStack Virtual Appliance (VOVA) based on the new OpenStack Havana release. This release contains several additional improvements over the previous VOVA version based on the Grizzly release. Below are some of the highlights included with the new release:
- Single Nova compute node can manage multiple clusters under single vCenter.
- VMDK driver for Cinder enables creation of volumes using vSphere datastores. This allows OpenStack Cinder to present block storage from extensive range of storage solutions certified to work with vSphere
- Removed the additional VNC password for accessing instances from console in Horizon.
- First release of "vCenter Web Client Plugin for OpenStack". This plugin presents OpenStack inventory directly in the vCenter web client. Admins can view the OpenStack related properties of instances along with traditional vCenter details.
- Added support for vSphere Distributed Switch (vDS)
In addition to the features above there are significant stability improvements across all aspects of running OpenStack on VMware. To get started working and testing OpenStack on vSphere visit the VMware OpenStack community page at http://www.vmware.com/go/openstack.
We encourage you to try new VOVA and look forward to your feedback. All documentation for VOVA is available for download in the VMware OpenStack community site.
For future updates, be sure to follow me on Twitter at @PunchingClouds