We've been doing this podcast thing for a year, so happy anniversary! Since this was podcast #48, and that doesn't count the podcasts we recorded at VMworld, that means we were here every single week except for one week at American Thanksgiving and two at Christmas, and I think we can all agree that a full year of weekly podcasts lies firmly between crazy and genius, leaning towards crazy. The only way we made this possible on our budget (zero) is to (1) use a free service; (2) have zero preparation and zero post-production (although I try to remember to run the audio files through a little volume leveling); but most importantly (3) get smarter people than myself on the line every week. That last one is the key. From the beginning I wanted to pull together a panel of smart VMware experts for commentary and get them to ask questions to a smart technical guest. That setup, now with an expanded live audience of a few dozen smart chatters and callers every week, has turned this thing into a winner. I want to thank the tireless roundtable panel for making time week after week to call in and my VMware colleagues who have learned to duck into an office when they see me wandering the halls looking for guests.
Stop by every Wednesday at noon Pacific time to join in the fun — see below for details on next week's podcast on vSphere performance.
This week we were lucky enough to have Chris Gebhardt and Vaughn Stewart from NetApp as our guests, and obviously storage was the topic — LUN sizing, dedupe, intelligent caching, VMware View, snapshots, SSDs, and more. As always, listen via the widget on the right, the mp3, or via iTunes.
- The Virtual Storage Guy blog from Vaughn Stewart
- The Virtualization Effect blog from Chris Gebhardt
- VMware vSphere and the vStorage API from Rick Scherer
- TR3428 – NetApp and VMware Virtual Infrastructure 3 Storage (pdf)
- NetApp Rapid Cloning Utility video (YouTube)
- NetApp VMware View Integration video (Vaughn Stewart on YouTube)
- TR3705 – NetApp and VMware VDI Best Practices (pdf)
- NetApp SnapManager for VMware Infrastructure (SMVI) Demo (YouTube)
- NetApp to acquire Data Domain (press release – this dropped as we were finishing up the podcast)
Other things you'll want to listen to:
- Virtual Thoughts (blog | information) New podcast from Edward Haletky (Texiwill) and Tom Howarth. Topic: vSphere Licensing. Tuesday, May 26, 2:30pm EDT / 1930pm BST.
- VMware Communities Roundtable. Scott Drummonds on What's New In vSphere Performance. information. Wednesday, May 27, noon PDT / 3pm EDT / 2000 BST.
- Virtualization SQL on VMware with Confidence: What You Should Know and How to Get Started (with Rick Scherer from VMwareTips.com; link takes you to free NetApp webinar registration) Thursday, May 28, 11am PDT / 2pm Eastern / 1900 BST.
- Online Virtualization Forum from VMware. June 9 & 10, 8am-1pm PDT / 11am-4pm EDT / 1600-2100 BST
- The Hypervisor Huddle #1 "an audiocast for IT pros in the know" from the SearchVMware.com crew. Topic: vSphere Licensing, Hyper-V R2, and Oracle-Sun. (monthly, pre-recorded)
- Virtualization Security Roundtable Podcast. Every other Thursday 11:30am PDT / 2:30pm EDT / 1930 BST
- You do know about VMware's Webcasts on Demand, right? Look for the ones labeled "Technical Track" for the good stuff.