The Wait is Over! Fusion 10 available now!

Hot on the heels of macOS 10.13 High Sierra yesterday, today we are proud to announce the general availability of VMware Fusion 10!

With over 30 new features in Fusion and over 50 in Fusion Pro, including a refreshed UI, Metal Graphics support, Virtual Network Simulation and the all new Fusion API, Fusion 10 is our boldest and most exciting release yet.

Download it here!

Buy or Upgrade Here!

Powerfully Simple

All new UI elements and contextual Touch Bar support

First thing users will notice is the updated User Interface. Fusion 10 is designed to be simple enough for anyone to use yet powerful enough for IT Pros and Developers, and the new UI is more informative as well as elegant, bringing useful details to the surface, saving time and effort.

For everyone

Fusion 10 and Fusion 10 Pro bring a number of advancements focused on Developers, IT Professionals and businesses, while pushing the envelope for users of all kinds.

Fusion 10 brings with it a new virtual hardware platform and many enhancements to the underlying hypervisor. Derived directly from the vSphere hypervisor, Fusion 10 gains new platform stability, performance and feature enhancements to take full advantage of newer Intel Kaby Lake and AMD Ryzen CPU features for improved performance and stability.

In addition to supporting macOS 10.13 High Sierra as both Host and Guest, Fusion 10 supports Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and the latest updates for Server 2016. We’ve also added support for newer Linux distributions like Ubuntu 17.04 and Fedora 26.

We didn’t stop there

New ‘Metal’ Graphics rendering engine gives us improved performance

Building on innovation for all users, we’re introducing our all new Metal Graphics Rendering Engine to be enabled by default on supported hosts. Apple Metal gives Fusion 10 improved performance, improved reliability and rendering accuracy with better energy consumption.

All new Fusion API

Introducing the VMware Fusion API

For Developers, Operations teams and power users, Fusion 10 Pro introduces an all new REST-based API designed for integrating Fusion with a modern continuous deployment and testing pipeline. Use this secure, HTTP or HTTPS based API to rapidly and automatically deploy, configure, use and finally destroying virtual machines, even without Fusion open. Developers can have a stable, powerful and modern virtualization host that supports the broadest number of Guest OS’s including VMware Photon OS, while Operations teams can use the API to create custom tools for requesting and deploying macOS Desktops or any other VM type for testing.

Simply Powerful

Updated Remote vSphere Host Controls

Fusion 10 Pro now adds new controls for managing vSphere, such as remote Host Power operations. vSphere Admins can now use Fusion to Power Off, Reboot or put ESXi Hosts into Maintenance Mode.

Fusion 10 also adds support for effortlessly deploying the VMware vCenter Server Appliance for rapid testing.

Enterprise Grade

All new VBS Support for Win 10 Guests – Enterprise Security built right in

New this year is support for Microsoft Virtualization Based Security features such as Credential Guard and Device Guard. This new security mode is becoming more commonplace, and not all applications are ready. Use Fusion 10 to test corporate applications for compatibility with VBS, or enable VBS features on the corporate virtual desktop in conjunction with restriction and management features built in. We’ve also introduced a virtual Trusted Platform Module (TPM) which can manage cryptographic functions for applications or OS Features such as BitLocker.

Virtual Networking and Simulation

Fusion 10 Pro makes Virtual Networking more organized while giving new features to test your application’s resiliency. Fusion 10 Pro adds the ability to simulate Packet Loss, Latency and Bandwidth Caps, on both Inbound and Outbound traffic per virtual network adapter. Fusion 10 Pro also now provides an interface to configure NAT and Port Forwarding rules and to enable custom network renaming.

All of this plus a ton of smaller enhancements, we think you’ll agree that this is our boldest and  most exciting release to date.

Pricing, Licensing, Upgrades

New licenses for Fusion and Fusion Pro are available at store.vmware.com for $79 and $159 respectively. Fusion 7, 8 or 8.5 customers can upgrade for $49 or $119 respectively.

Users who purchased Fusion 8.5 from August 22nd until now are eligible for a free upgrade, so check your MyVMware to see if you keys have been upgraded already.

Let us know what you think!

There are many ways to let us know how your experience with Fusion is going, and many ways to get help if you are stuck.  Fusion 10 comes with 18 months of complimentary email support so you can file tickets with our team for no cost through your MyVMware portal.

We also have a thriving community of users, experts and supporters over at communities.vmware.com

And of course, feel free to comment below.

We help you enjoy using it as much as we enjoyed building it!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized on by .

About Michael Roy

Michael Roy is the Product Line Marketing Manager for Fusion, Fusion Pro, Workstation Pro and Workstation Player at VMware. He guides product roadmap and messaging, produces and presents technical collateral, and works across teams to refine product integration strategy.

51 thoughts on “The Wait is Over! Fusion 10 available now!

1. Robert

I am a current Fusion 8.5.8 user, and a math teacher, but I cannot find a link to an academically priced upgrade to just Fusion 10? Can you provide one?

2. Pingback: Now Shipping: VMware Workstation 14 & VMware Fusion 10 | VMware End-User Computing Blog

3. Pingback: Now Shipping: VMware Workstation 14 & VMware Fusion 10 – VMpro.at

4. Peter Binderup

Bought a copy of Vmware Fusion 10 Pro today for work. Installed it on my Macbook Pro (late 2016 version) with High Sierra. Before installing I had made sure that the Windows 10 Enterprise VM I had running under 8.5.x was shut down completely, I then upgraded and then the better part of an afternoon was spent trying to debug why I couldn’t start my Windows 10 VM

Long story short – I gave up.

Longer version. After trying to navigate through Vmware.com support hell I gave up and called Vmware’s office in Denmark, was redirected to a wrong person, but he was nice to accept that I wrote to him directly and he promised that he would redirect my mail to a support person.

My issue is that after installing and starting 10 pro, Vmware Fusion 10 pro prompted to up upgrade the Windows 10 vm – I pressed the upgrade button, and after a second the VM tried to start up, only to give me the option to: Ignore, Report or Restart Windows. Out of the 3 options only Ignore worked or rather it just removed the dialog box. Report would just run forever without giving a report to deal with and restart would just display the same dialog box after a second or two.

I have tried to bring back the VM from a backup, but the upgrade ends the same place. If I remove Version 10 of Fusion and reinstall version 8.5.x and the VM from a backup I’m able to start the VM and log into Windows 10 – so something is clearly wrong with version 10 of Fusion.

So in my view stay clear of version 10 for a while it is buggy as hell! And trying navigate through VMware support sites fighting off dialog boxes that inform you that your serial is already accepted leaving you stranded is just a slap in the face. Perhaps I should have looked at Parallels instead…

1. Michael Roy Post author

We are investigating an issue with certain languages. What locale to do you use Fusion with?
      Also, I’m having our support team reach out to you directly.

Finally, you can always file a support case through your MyVMware portal, or by emailing desktop-services@vmware.com

1. Peter Binderup

Hi Michael

Last night I got a call from one of the VMware support people and we resolved the issue by disabling 3D acceleration on the VM (I use the Windows 10 Enterprise only for boring coorp. stuff so I don’t really need 3D). Your support staff member was polite and very helpful and deserves a little recognition for that – the matter was resolved in 7-8 minutes

I look forward to any patches that will arrive in the near future.

2. ThierryC

I have had the exact same issue with my 3 Windows VMs and it is not related to language whatsoever. I raised a ticket to Vmware and the answer was to add ‘mks.enableMTLRenderer = “0” ‘ into vmx file and it fixed the issue.

Now my question is: why implementing Metal into Fusion 10 if it is not able to use it at all?

1. Michael Roy Post author

The issue only affected certain Macs with certain non-english locales. It was a miss by our testing team and the new Metal renderer. The issue has been resolved with code changes internally and we’re about to release the patch for this in the next few hours.

5. Markus Schmidt

Having the same Problem as Erik! German locale! This Bug costes me over 3 hours of my life already! Thank you Vmware!

6. Arjan van der Veen

When you disable the 3D acceleration of the video, the VM starts (slower graphics of course). But this is just a workaround. VMWare, please fix ASAP!

7. Rick Shu

For the customers who are using western Europe local in Mac host, please try either of following ways as temporary workaround:

1) Switch to English language in your macOS host (Restart required)
    or 2) Add mks.enableMTLRenderer = “0” into vmx file
    or) 3) Disable 3D acceleration in VM settings

Sorry for any inconveniences.

Regards,
    -Rick

1. Bertrand Presles

Thanks for these workarounds list. In my case only the last 2 work, setting language to english and reboot doesn’t solve the issue at all.

The second workaround just disable the Metal renderer, so it looks like, at least for some, it’s not just a language issue but an issue with Metal support not working in some cases.

2. Bertrand Presles

Now I tried on 2 different Macs:

– MacBook Pro – mid 2014 – Intel Iris Pro IGPU
      – iMac – Late 2013 – NVidia GeForce GTX 775M GPU

In both cases switch to english as primary language doesn’t allow to workaround the issue (I tried both by setting it only on System Preferences and also using “sudo languagesetup”. Of course rebooting after each change).

The two others workaround (disabling Metal renderer or 3D support all together) both work.

So the “western language” track is a false track in the current issue in my humble opinion. I really thing that the real cause is the Metal renderer itself regardless of the primary language used.

1. Michael Roy Post author

The issue is specifically Metal on non-english hosts. We have fixed it internally and are releasing a patch in the next few hours.
        I’m not sure why changing the language doesn’t help, but it’s likely that the issue is deeper than what that language setting adjusts.

8. Pingback: VMware、「VMware Fusion 10」や「VMware Workstation 14」の販売開始

9. Sebastien

I’m running on Sierra 10.12.6 and Fusion 10 Pro, and I still can’t install High Sierra (official release), I again have the “Unable to create the installation medium” message.

Am I doing something wrong?

10. Richard J

I am unable to use my Boot Camp volume in High Sierra, which is one of the main uses I have for Fusion.

The error that is reported when I try to create a Boot Camp VM, or boot once it has created is:

A failure occurred during Boot Camp volume preprocessing: Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to

1. Richard J

Ok I figured it out. System Preferences > Security & Privacy > System software from developer “VMware, Inc.” was blocked from loading > Allow.

Once I did this and re-created the Boot Camp VM I was up and running.

11. Kaiyu Liu

I purchased 8.5 on July 24th after buying a new macbook pro and discovering version 7 would not work on it. A short time later, version 10 was announced along with the news that anyone who bought 8.5 (from then on) would get a free upgrade. I think it would be right to extend the free upgrade to users who purchased 8.5 in the past three months. Especially since VMware is not officially supporting 8.5 on the new operating system, which does not make sense to me. I’m feeling a bit like you guys dropped the ball on this one. I’ve been very happy with VMware Fusion for only two month, but will consider the competition next time I choose to upgrade.

1. Brian Abston

I agree. We also purchased several seats on July 21st and they are saying we have to upgrade as well. Most companies will give you 3+ months back for free upgrades. If they should sell people the product with free upgrade licenses knowing it was not going to be supported. I called customer service to talk about this and they just kept saying we have to upgrade. They offered a 50% off code but It is just bad customer service. This will make me re-think the purchase next time.

12. John Wilkins

I see a claim for better energy consumption when using the new Metal 2 graphics.

I’d say there’s a problem with this at the moment.

If I configure my Windows 10 guest for 3D acceleration and choose the best battery life option (“Don’t use High Performance Graphics”) the product seems to function as you would expect. Look in the host Activity Monitor and you can see that Fusion isn’t using the HPG chip.

However, configure the Windows 10 guest for the next setting up (“Only use High Performance Graphics for 3D applications”) and then start Fusion. You’ll find that it immediately switches to HPG. Windows 10 is simply displaying a login screen – hardly a 3D application – and yet HPG is being enabled. Huge drain on battery life.

Now shutdown that guest and Fusion continues to use the HPG chip. You can even switch the guest back to “Don’t use” and start it. Fusion will continue to use HPG.

Basically, unless I only want a few hours of battery life out of my shiny new MacBook Pro 15, I have to set all my guest VMs to the “Don’t use HPG” option.

13. Bertrand Presles

Problem fixed on 10.0.1. Btw, I had to download it from VMware website as there were no software update detected by VMWare Fusion 10.0.0.

14. Gerd Kamp

I’m on 10.0.1 on a n mid2010 27″iMac. Just upgraded from fusion 6.. German Locale.

Now I’m getting VMX Unrestricted Guest required, initialisation of module CPUIDEARLY for every existing and news VM.

Another testing glitch? Any workaround?

15. daniel

im currently on 8.5.8 running on sierra, will the 8.5.8 installed on high sierra? would it works? i just need windows to run on top of it for my network testing for my job.

16. Big Husky

One thing that has been very concerning and might prevent me to do this upgrade is the lack of treating paying pro customers accordingly. The upgrade price for pro users is the same as upgrading from the regular version. It’s time for VMware to show long running pro paying customers a little bit of consideration and provide a better upgrade price than from the regular version. $89 would be a much fairer upgrade price from 8.5 pro to 10 pro.

17. George Girton

Very happy to say I am running Fusion 10 and Windows 10 on High Sierra. So far so good. Selected version 14 of hardware in Fusion. Thanks to the people on this forum & VM Ware for noting how to enable the installer helper in the security tab of preferences. I am running a new iMac with SSD, have not seen any problems with the new Apple file system.

18. Jerry Normandin

I own a MacPro 6,1 (late 2013 black can). I have an eGPU (Akitio Node with Nvidia GTX 970) and dual AMD FirePRO D700s GPUs.
    I wrote OpenCV applications that work well with my eGPu and the Compute AMD D700. Is Fusion 10 capable of eGPU passthrough ?
    I am writing CUDA code that I would like to run in a Linux VM. If not I’m better off not upgrading and running Linux Bare Metal.

19. Pingback: VMware Fusion 10.0.1 - TidBITS - Tech Box

20. Pingback: VMware Fusion 10.0.1 Crack + Mac OSX Full Download

21. jagoche

Why there is no upgrade possible form Fusion 6 to 10?
    Is it still possible to to buy upgrade from 6 to 8.5 and then upgrade to 10?

22. cghera

Each time a new version of Mac OS comes out we need to upgrade the VMware fusion as well. I would prefer the 8.5 version to be compatible with high Sierra and not have the new features of the 10 version.
    I am a home user who needs VMs but I cannot afford paying for the upgrade.

1. Bill Plein

VMware 8.5 Pro works fine with High Sierra. I’m running it now. I’m going to hold off on upgrading to 10 for a while. I don’t require the new features.

1. Toki

Same here, I run a variety of Linux distributions (no Windows, though) on Fusion 8.5.8 Pro, on macOS High Sierra. So far, so good. The “advanced” features, aside from the networking and touch bar support on my shiny MacBook Pro, do not justify a $119 upgrade price.

23. Karl Hesser

For past versions, you offered the upgrade price for people “crossgrading” from Parallels Desktop. Will you or do you offer that also for Fusion 10? I’m currently using Parallels Desktop 11 but am not really satisfied with it. I am considering either an upgrade to PD 13 or a move to Fusion 10.

24. Ekapob Chimamphan

Is it suitable to upgrade to version 10 for this specification?

Sierra version 10.12.8
    MacBook Pro Retina late 2013
    2.8 GHz Intel Core I 7
    Memory 16GB

Also install windows 10

25. Andy johnson

Anyone experiancing very slow performance when using Unity? Even when I click around on my Mac it’s terribly slow to click. I have a 2015 Macbook Pro with i7 and Geforce video. I do run 2 external monitors and the built in Laptop screen so I have 3 screens running all the time. I’m an IT Service tech and work with multiple clients throught the day. I’m in need of an upgrade from an old version of Parallels and thought I would try out VMWare Fusion. We have a couple clients with ESXI and it will be handy to use Fusion to manage them when needed.

26. Sven

Removing the Applications menu – which was an excellent menulet and powerful VM organiser – in Fusion 10 doesn’t make any sense: why go back (removing features without asking), instead of forwards (thus also improving upon the best things that already exists)…?!