Fusion 8.5.3 Released, addresses macOS 10.12 issues

Using macOS 10.12 Sierra and VMware Fusion 8.5? It’s time to update!

And with the biggest sale of the year going on right now, there’s never been a better time to get up to date if you’re on Fusion 7 or older.

Today we’ve released an update to our favourite Mac virtualization product to address some critical stability issues on certain configurations of macOS 10.12. Users would get an ‘internal error’ message and Fusion would quit unexpectedly. This release fixes that issue.

Users can download the update from within the product by clicking ‘Check for Updates’, or you can grab the raw bits right from vmware.com/go/getfusion

blog_cyber_banner_q4_2016_en_fusion8_fusion8pro_779x261

It’s also the perfect time to update to the latest supported version of our most popular products with our Cyber Monday sale going on all week.

There’s still a couple of days to get 35% off our already discounted Fusion 8.5 Pro and our flagship Windows and Linux virtualization product, VMware Workstation 12.5 Pro.

This entry was posted in apple, fusion, upgrade on by .

About Michael Roy

Michael Roy is the Product Line Marketing Manager for Fusion, Fusion Pro, Workstation Pro and Workstation Player at VMware. He guides product roadmap and messaging, produces and presents technical collateral, and works across teams to refine product integration strategy.

24 thoughts on “Fusion 8.5.3 Released, addresses macOS 10.12 issues

1. Don

Nothing but problems with Fusion since Sierra. Latest Fusion update is even worse. Thomson Reuters Eikon will no longer run with the most recent update of Fusion. Really frustrating. Thinking of looking at Parallels. out of necessity.

1. Michael Roy Post author

Hi Don,

Sorry to hear that. Our testing has shown while there were some issues for some users with certain configurations, and we addressed those with this and previous releases.
      Would you be able to send me an email so we can discuss what issues you are experiencing, or have you filed a support request that we can investigate?
      mroy at vmware dot com

Thanks

2. Dan Allison

After upgrading to 8.5.3, I am getting the System Properties message, “Windows created a temporary paging file…” message every time Windows 7 starts.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
    Processor – 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    macOS Sierra – Version 10.12.1

Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit Service Pack 1
    Processors – 2 processor cores
    Memory – 2048MB (recommended)
    Hard Disk (SCSI) – 60GB
    VMware Fusion – Version 8.5.3 (4696910)

3. Jason Frame

Using fusion 8.5.3 with macOS Sierra 10.12.2, windows 10. Unity will work with a few application but many windows will not appear. If an application is open some of the windows that will not show up initially, will show up in the frame of the current application that is open, as if the open application becomes the screen for other applications to appear. However, the mouse focus of the applications is inconsistent.

4. andrew

8.5.3 does not work with Sierra 10.12.1 – all my VMs start with internal error, even after completely removing previous Fusion install and all prefs.

What is going on over there?

1. Michael Roy Post author

Hm, that’s strange… Have you filed a support ticket? We can follow up internally with our engineering team.

1. sanze

I have the same issue with mac OS x 10.12
        When i try to install vmware fusion 8.5 ( double click ) an error message is displayed : “File not found”
        Did someone solve it?

5. steve

I have the same issue with mac OS x 10.12
    Did someone solve it?

6. Mick

I’m having the same error too – I just can’t make things work using 10.12.2 and Fusion 8.5.3 and my new 2016 15″ MacBook Pro.
    In case it offers further clues, the VM (a virtual Windows 7 machine) was imported from Parallels 11. During the process of importing Fusion said it needed to download and install VMWare Tools but that operation failed every time. I chose to proceed without the Tools and now whenever I try to run the VM I get an immediate Internal Error message. So in short, pretty much everything associated with trying to get Fusion up and running was an epic fail for me.
    I’m totally dead in the water and anxiously awaiting any word for a fix!!

1. Michael Roy Post author

Our product certainly installs and works just fine under Sierra, there must be something unique going on in your situation.
      Have you engaged support? I’d be happy to get a ticket filed for you if you have not already. Our team is fantastic and I’m sure we’d be able to get you sorted quickly.

1. Michael Roy Post author

It sure does, I use it every day. Have you rebooted the Mac?
          The issue we had with the ‘internal error’ also was sporadic, it wasn’t happening every time, so in your case something is corrupted or incomplete.
          If it persists after a reboot, I’d encourage you to get in touch with our support team at desktop-services@vmware.com so we can dig in and help.

7. Glenn Ellis

I’ve just installed OS 10.12.2 and I’ve had nothing but problems. The Fusion preferences screen wont go away. When I close it, the whole thing crashes.
    I cant hide the Fusion screen anymore fom the pop up menu at the bottom. I have to press the yellow button top left to move the screen to the dock just to access screens /apps running behind. I keep having to restart my machine. Very annoying.

1. Michael Roy Post author

Have you filed a support request?
      Have you tried re-installing Fusion?
      We have not seen that issue in support, QA or our own daily use…

1. Lars Svensson

Dear MIchael,

I am considering updating from VmWare Fusion 8.1.1 to 8.5.3 and to update OSX 10.11.6 to 10.12.2.
        I am using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Service Pack 1 on VMWare Fusion, mainly for running Thomson Reuters Datastream 5.1 on MS Office Excel Professional Plus 2010.

Are there any remaining issues about running 8.5.3 on OSX 10.12, such as those discussed on this page,

Best regards,
        Lars Svensson
        I am running Windows

1. Michael Roy Post author

In the history of the product there are always users who experience some issue or other with every version, major or minor. It’s complicated software with a ton of opportunity for things to go wrong (i.e. USB, video, drivers, physical hardware problems, OS compatibility, some other software bug that affects us, the list goes on…). The best advice I can give is the following:
          – Backup your virtual machines (always a good practice anyway)
          – Try the latest version by installing it on your system (if it’s a major release, use the trial version before buying)
          – Verify things work okay by living with that setup for a week or so
          – Either continue using the version you have installed, or uninstall it and re-install the older version.
          Changing the version of Fusion on your system does not affect your Virtual Machines when we’re dealing with minor-version releases. (i.e. 8.0, 8.1, 8.5), but major version releases will want to upgrade the virtual hardware (i.e. upgrading from 7.x -> 8.5).

So yah, try it out on your system and keep a backup in case something goes wrong with the VM (remember that snapshots are not backups…). Our support team is also here to help if you run into issues, or at the very least they can get a bug report filed with our development team.

8. Bill Hale

With older OS and Version 7 everything just worked. Made mistake of upgrading both, now nothing works. 8.5.3
    Sierra 10.12. Windows 7. It starts but I can’t get windows 7 to unsuspend. The play arrow does nothing.

I do get a dialog that says to get new features turn off the window (can’t start it, turn it off or anything) then select
    Virtual Machine > Settings > Configuration which is all greyed out.

The previous version ran the Garmin G-1000 simulator which requires a hot graphics card in a PC. Astoundingly good!
    The graphics stuff must be well ported.

Needless to say I’m very unhappy.

9. Joachim S.

Hi, I am using a OS X 10.12.3 and VMWare 8.5.3 and suddenly the Windows 10 box does not recognize my external HD. When I connect it to windows the driver said “can not start USB device”. Using it under MAC is no problem.

Reinstalling the VM Tools does not work, it says, that it does not find the MSI, even it is there.

Is there a solution on that?

10. Riot Nrrrd™

Hi Michael,

I’ve got a MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite as the main OS with Fusion 8.5.5 running on it. (Thanks for the key I got from you guys at VMworld last year!)

I’m using Fusion to run a Mac OS X VM for software testing purposes on other OSes.

This thing has been upgraded from 10.8.5 to 10.10.5 and the VM has been upgraded from Mac OS X 10.7.5 Lion to Mac OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite to Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

I am trying to upgrade the VM Yet Again from El Capitan to macOS 10.12.3 Sierra via the normal App Store “Upgrade” method.

The El Capitan VM is sized to 40 GB and there is 20 GB free space in it.

Twice now this upgrade has hung when it reaches the 90% mark or thereabouts.

The first time, the VM was set up as a 10.11 VM in the “OS” setting. I changed it to 10.12 for the 2nd attempt. No change, hangs at the same point.

Obviously since there’s no logs and I just have a black screen with a white Apple logo and progress bar, I have no clue as to how far it got or at what point is it hanging.

I’ve left it sit for an hour each time and there is no change to the progress bar.

I end up having to fall back to my latest El Capitan VM snapshot (which still works obviously) but the user would really like it to be running Sierra in the VM.

Given that I’m running the latest Fusion is there anything I can do to debug this? Any log files anywhere that are of use? /Library/Logs/VMware only contains benign USBArb logs.

Thanks in advance

11. Byron

I’d like to say the update has solved my problems, but I can’t. I just upgraded to Fusion 8.5 pro. I run Windows 10 as a guest OS on MacOS Sierra 10.12.3. on a mid 2012 macbook pro 13′ with the Intel HD 4000 graphics card, 16GB RAM and 2x 1TB SSDs. The system supports up to OpenGL 4 and DirectX 10 – fully. For the most part it’s all peachy, except for the annoying things I need to use, like PowerMap – which won’t initialize owing to a DirectX ‘failure’ and Unity, which isn’t ‘critical’ – more of a nice to have. I’m not of the observation that my hardware is at fault – it all supports the required drivers etc. And my drivers are all up to date, leaving the fault somewhere in Fusion 8 (pro).

1. Michael Roy Post author

Fusion 8 does not support OpenGL 4, only OpenGL 3, but PowerMap should work tho.
      We demoed it at VMworld in 2015. Did you install VMware Tools in the VM? It’s required for 3D Acceleration. Also, you have to specify to ‘Accelerate 3D graphics’ within the VM’s settings.