Microsoft Windows 8.1 Availability Update

Today Microsoft is making Windows 8.1 available for purchase.

If you already have Windows 8, beginning on October 17th you can download the Windows 8.1 update for free from the Windows Store.

If you’re a Windows 7 and below user, you can purchase a Windows 8.1 DVD and have it shipped to you from the Windows Store starting today, October 18th.

If you have installed the Windows 8.1 Preview, and want to update to Window 8.1, check out this page for more information.

However you acquire Windows 8.1, VMware Fusion 6 and Fusion 6 Professional are ready now to run Windows 8.1 Home, Professional, and Enterprise on your Mac. You’ll be able to start in desktop mode, view Metro applications in Launchpad and the Applications folder, or pin Metro apps in the dock when in Unity mode. Fusion 6 also supports Windows 8.1 application-style startup menu. You’ll also be able to launch Windows 8.1 from a Boot Camp partition included on 2013 Macs.

Your installation process for Windows 8.1 will depend on whether you’re downloading an update or installing from a DVD.  Whatever the process, the new installation assistant in VMware Fusion 6 will walk you through the process in no time.

Enjoy Windows 8.1!

–The Fusion Team

This entry was posted in Uncategorized on by .

About Nannette Vilushis

Nannette is Senior Product Marketing Manager for VMware Fusion. Her background includes product marketing roles at IBM and Sage Software.

35 thoughts on “Microsoft Windows 8.1 Availability Update

1. Tony

I run a macbook air 2013 and VMWare Fusion 6. I just purchased Windows 8.1, but was only able to download the WindowsSetup.exe file. Where can I find the .iso so I can use VMWare to install?

1. Claus Wahlers

Tony, you can get free, official Windows VMs from Microsoft here:

Download and mount one of them in VMWare, then run your WindowsSetup.exe from there. Worked for me.

1. Patrick

Thanks for this Claus. Didn’t purchase Win8.1 yet but this is a nice quick method to get a vm up and running. Thanks.

2. Nannette Vilushis Post author

Hello Tony–did you own Windows 8 prior to purchasing Windows 8.1? If you already own Windows 8, you can buy and download the update to Windows 8.1. If you do not already own Windows 8, you’ll need to buy a Windows 8.1 DVD from the Windows Store and have it shipped to you. Then you can install Windows 8.1 in Fusion on your Mac.

If you already have Windows 8 in a Fusion 6 virtual machine, open Fusion, then download the Windows 8.1 executable. Your Windows 8 Fusion virtual machine will update to Windows 8.1.

Hope that’s helpful!

Best, Nannette

1. Tony

Hi Nannette,

I run an Macbook Air (ie. No DVD Drive).

I didn’t have 8.0, so I am running just VMWare Fusion and OSX. Is there another solution, as I don’t have a DVD drive (internal or external).

Thanks

3. Nannette Vilushis Post author

Hi Tony–Microsoft is not currently offering Windows 8.1 as a download (i.e., as an .iso file). The only way to buy Windows 8.1 My suggestion is to see if you can borrow an external drive before ordering the Windows 8.1 DVD.

Good luck–Nannette

4. Jeff

In Fusion 6, I’m not able to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 8.1. Also, Unity mode is not working for Windows 8.1.

5. Nannette Vilushis Post author

Hi Jeff–Microsoft is not allowing Windows 7 users to upgrade to Windows 8.1 online. You’ll need to order a Windows 8.1 DVD from the Windows Store and have it shipped to you.

Regarding your second sentence, it sounds as though you don’t have Windows 8.1 installed as yet. Our testing indicates that Unity mode does work with Windows 8.1. If you do have a Windows 8.1 desktop, and cannot use Unity mode, please post your question in the Fusion Community and someone will give you a hand via email.

Thanks, Nannette

6. Jeff

Nannette,

1. I am a Microsoft Partner and have a full retail copy of the Windows 8.1 ISO. I mounted the ISO to my Windows 7 VM and the upgrade failed.

Has VMware tested a Win 7 to Win 8.1 upgrade on an existing VM?

2. I did a clean install of full retail version of Windows 8.1 Pro and unity mode did not work on the first shot. I went ahead and just reinstalled the VMware tools and it worked.

7. Nannette Vilushis Post author

Hi Jeff—we are not aware of any Fusion-specific causes for this failure. Please email VMware Support so they can address the issue.

Thanks–Nannette

1. Jeff

Nannette,

This is a known issue: https://communities.vmware.com/thread/460291

I would recommend you amend the original blog post to let people know there are “issues”.

8. Vikram Jairam

I have a 2013 rMBP running OSX Mavericks 10.9. I installed windows 8.1 and Vmware Fusion 6 pro runs well in unity mode. Only problem is…. My shared folders DO NOT WORK. I have my dropbox folder on the MAC, and it is in my My Documents folder. When I try to mount ISO’s on the VM, it says, “attempted to read beyond the end of the file…” all installs failed. So I finally copied to a USB drive (exFAT) and mounted the drive to Mac directly. Then I mounted the ISO in vmWare and that is how I managed to install Windows 8 Pro, and then Windows 8.1 Pro upgrade within windows 8 itself.
    Now I have another problem. I’ve enabled shared folders for My Documents, My Pictures, My Videos, My Music, etc. I cannot save any files, or even open any files. Is this a MAC HFS+ issue? Or is it a vmWare issue… no idea whats going on. Problem is that I am unable to use Office 2013 to read any of the documents in my DropBox folder which is on my Mac. This is a poor experience. I have run VmWare fusion pro 5 on OSX 10.8 for years now with no issues, but there was a performance lag because it was a 2011 MBP 15″ which had performance issues with Windows 7 window dragging, etc. Now I have a 15″ rMBP with 16GB/2.6GHz/1TB SSD macbook and the VM runs really, really well – but useless because I cannot do basic folder sharing. What a let down! Is nobody else running into this issue?

1. Nannette Vilushis

Hi Vikram–please check out the Fusion Support Center here: https://www.vmware.com/support/fusion/. You’ll find FAQs, access to Fusion online community, and access to the support team. The Fusion community is very active—if you post this comment, you’ll see feedback quickly.

To participate, register here: https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/login. Registration is free.

Thanks, Nannette

9. William

My configuration:

2012 rMBP. OSX 10.9. Fusion 6 Pro. Windows 8. All fine.

My problem:

Attempt to upgrade to 8.1 through Windows Store. Download proceeds fine. Installation commences, virtual machines reboots and the reaches the ‘keyboard type’ selection page. I chose and am immediately redirected to a page giving me a choice between ‘troubleshooting’ and ‘PC shutdown’. The former leads to nothing useful. Following the latter, the VM reboots with Windows 8 recovered, saying there was a problem with the 8.1 installation.

Que faire?

1. Nannette Vilushis

Hi William–please check out the Fusion Support Center here: https://www.vmware.com/support/fusion/. You’ll find FAQs, access to Fusion online community, and access to the support team. The Fusion community is very active—if you post this comment, you’ll see feedback quickly.

Thanks, Nannette

10. Tom

I have a MBP 2013 running OSX 10.9 with Fusion Version 6.0.1 (1331545), and a Windows 8.0 VM.

Everything was operating fine until I upgraded my VM to Windows 8.1 via the App Store yesterday.

The issue I have now is that every few minutes, the system toggles me back to the Mac environment. This is making working under Windows almost impossible. Any ideas how to fix?

11. Nannette Vilushis

Hi Tom–You can get your question answered through the Fusion Community or by our support team. Please check out the Fusion Support Center here: https://www.vmware.com/support/fusion/. You’ll find FAQs, access to Fusion online community, and access to the support team.

Thanks, Nannette

12. Richard McSharry

Hi,
    We have VMWare Fusion Version 5.0.3 (1040386) with a Windows 8 VM, upgraded last week via the App Store to 8.1. Running on Mac Book Pro 15” Retina.

We have this problem on all our machines:
    1 Open Windows Explorer, browse to any ‘virtual’ folder (ie. a folder that is actually pointing to a folder on the Mac, such as My Documents).
    2. You can see all the content, but you cannot do anything with it. For example, double-click a file to open it and the application (eg. notepad, excel, whatever) does not launch. The workaround is that you have to go to the physical folder on the Mac and open the file, then it will open the appropriate application in the VM (and the file opens in the app.). On Win8 VM this was not necessary, it worked fine from the VM.
    3. You cannot double-click any sub-folder to open it either, you can only ever see the top-level in the VM.

It seems that ‘double-click’ behaviour is broken. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Richard

13. Nannette Vilushis

Hi Richard–I reviewed the posts in the Fusion Community and can’t find any questions similar to yours. Feel free to post your question at https://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/fusion to see if anyone in the Fusion Community can help you. You can also email Fusion Support for help–start here: https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/login.

As an FYI, VMware Fusion 6 was built to support Windows 8.1. You may want to consider upgrading to Fusion 6 since you’ve upgraded to Windows 8.1. You can easily upgrade at the VMware Store–just go to http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/ and click Upgrade.

Thanks, Nannette

14. Shawn

I am thinking of running of VMWare Fusion on my MacBook Pro, but would like to try it out first. I have the trial version of Fusion 6 loaded and a copy of Windows 8 on a usb drive, but I can’t find any files on the usb drive that Fusion recognizes. Any help?

1. Nannette Vilushis

Hi Shawn–Hi Richard–I reviewed the posts in the Fusion Community and can’t find any issues similar to yours. Feel free to post your question at https://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/fusion to see if anyone in the Fusion Community can help you.

You’ll need to join the community first by going to this page: https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/login.

–Nannette

15. amit

any one give me reply for share folder issue after upgrade 8.1 on vmware fusion 6.02

16. Nannette Vilushis

Amit–please check out the Fusion Support Center here: https://www.vmware.com/support/fusion/. You’ll find FAQs, access to Fusion online community, and access to the support team.

Thanks, Nannette

17. Harmen Rijks

I have just bought a copy of Windows 8.1 after Mickeysoft’s scaremongering of switching off support for XP on April 8, 2014.

Installation was a doddle, but I’m somewhat annoyed there is no easy migration path for documents, etc. I’m now sharing the files from the XP VM on my Mac, so that’s not really an issue any more.

The BIG issue is that the CPU is overheating. When I run Win 8 the temperature shoots up to 99 C, rather than the 63C on XP.

I have also noticed that the performance lags behind XP by such a degree that I had to return back to XP as the only program (SDL Trados 2014) I’m using Windows 8 for is unworkably slow.

Is there anything that can be done to reduce the abuse of the CPU and speed it up? I understand Win 8 is much more memory hungry than XP, but this is ridiculous. No wonder that 77% of British businesses are still on XP.

Any ideas what to do?

1. Nannette Vilushis

Hello Harmen–I’ve asked the Fusion support team to reach out to you to address your inquiry.

Best, Nannette

18. PD support

Hi Harmen,

We would like to know the resources (Processor and memory specifically) assigned to the Windows 8 virtual machine currently. Kindly follow the VMware knowledge base article to check if you can resolve the issue further:

kb.vmware.com/kb/1027674

If you are still facing issues, please create a technical support request with us by following the article : kb.vmware.com/kb/2006985.

Regards,

19. Lawn Aeration Cherry Hills CO

Wow, that’s what I was searching for, what a data!
    existing here at this weblog, thanks admin of this site.

Here is my blog :: Lawn Aeration Cherry Hills CO

20. london north animal hospital

Hi there! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if
    you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form?

I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having difficulty finding one?

Thanks a lot!

My blog post :: london north animal hospital

21. employment lawyers toronto

Nice post. I learn something totally new and challenging on websites I stumbleupon every
    day. It will always be useful to read content from other authors
    and use something from other websites.

Feel free to visit my site :: employment lawyers toronto

22. animal vet services

Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up. The text
    in your article seem to be running off the screen
    in Opera. I’m not sure if this is a formatting issue or something to do with internet browser compatibility but I figured I’d post to let you know.
    The layout look great though! Hope you get the issue resolved soon.
    Cheers

my website – animal vet services

23. ratings of lawyers

Today, while I was at work, my sister stole my apple
    ipad and tested to see if it can survive a 40 foot
    drop, just so she can be a youtube sensation.

My iPad is now destroyed and she has 83 views. I know this
    is entirely off topic but I had to share it with someone!

my blog post … ratings of lawyers

24. order valtrex online no prescription

After I initially left a comment I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me when new comments are
    added- checkbox and from now on whenever a comment is added I get
    4 emails with the exact same comment. There has to be a means you can remove me from that service?

Thanks a lot!

Check out my web blog – order valtrex online no prescription

25. promoção iphone 5s

The Microbe – Scope works with the i – Phone 4S, i – Phone 5S and
    possibly i – Phone 5C. Alsoanother major upgrade with this amazing phone is
    the camera which offers 5 megapixels. Maybe you are
    looking to put some Bling into your investment.

My web site promoção iphone 5s

26. Karoon Tay

Just want to check what is the step to upgrade Mac Os 10.7.5, VMware 4.x and MS Windows 7 to Mac OS Maverick, VMware 6 and MS Window 8 ? Which OS I need to upgrade first ? Any recommendation to on the latest version of all. Will it work well or any issues , please let me know.. Thanks for your comment and posting

27. stolen apple store

Especially, the smartphone will even feature Apple’s new main system, i – OS 7.

Google Voice is probably the easiest services to use for i – Phone call recording
    and it’s really free. The one downside is that, if it is done syncing, all of the apps could have been rearranged on the home screen.