New MacBook Pros Look To Be KILLER Demo Machines

The new MacBook Pro family. High performance now comes in 3 sizes: 13-, 15-, and 17-inch.

I am on the road this week for meetings, so I am just now catching up on the news from WWDC earlier today.

Apple announced a lot of good stuff today including the release dates for Mac OS X Snow Leopard (thanks, this is VERY helpful for us to know), iPhone 3.0 and as well as the brand new iPhone 3G S.

However, I am most excited about the new MacBook Pros.

I give a LOT of demos of VMware Fusion to our perspective customers and the press, where I will open up two to four VMs at once on my current 4 GB MacBook Pro to show off off the power of VMware Fusion.  However, two to four VMs at one time is NOTHING compared to the 20 virtual machines we run at once on a Mac Pro during our stress tests of VMware Fusion.

There are three great features available in all the new MacBook Pros that will make our demos even better.

More Memory Is Better

The ability to install up to 8 GB of memory will make it easy to run four to eight virtual machines at the same time without breaking sweat whether it is running the latest version of Ubuntu or Windows 7, the ability to show off more virtual machines all at the same time is great.

Even Faster Boot Times

The optional 256 GB SSD drive will make demos really damn fast. Even on a first generation MacBook Air with an SSD drive, Windows 7 is amazingly fast. So, it will be even faster on the new MacBook Pros with more available memory and the latest 256 GB SSD drive. I can’t wait to see how fast VMs boot off this new 256 GB SSD drive.

Graphics Showcase

While the nVidia 9400 GT or 9400/9600 GT graphics controllers were introduced a while ago, they really bring out the best in VMware Fusion’s first to the Mac market 3D and 1080p video playback support. Whether is showing off DirectX 9.0c Shader Model 2 3D graphics or 1080p video playback, you get to take advantage of the power of the nVidia graphics card in your MacBook Pro.

I am jazzed about the new MacBook Pros. Now, I just need to convince my boss to let me order a new MacBook Pro for our demo machine! πŸ™‚

This entry was posted in Uncategorized on by .

About Pat Lee

Pat Lee is the Senior Director, Remote Experience for VMware Desktop and Application products. The Remote Experience team is responsible for 3D graphics, remote display protocols, remote device access, desktop clients, thin clients, web clients, and mobile clients.

10 thoughts on “New MacBook Pros Look To Be KILLER Demo Machines

1. Stephen

I just got my new MacBook Pro with 17″ screen, 8 gig RAM and the 7200 rpm 300 gig HD. VMWare is in the background. I’m jazzed reading your blog post. I’ll have to try running more virtual machines now.

2. Richard Goodwin

I’d rather you stop giving me reasons to buy more Apple hardware πŸ˜‰
    I just pushed the button on a 3GS, and that unibody MBP is soooo tempting!

3. Dan Kuriloff

I am running a flight simulator called Phoenix using a MACBook Pro 17 inch (new one, black keys).
    Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,2
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP52.008E.B00
    SMC Version (system): 1.42f4
    Serial Number (system): W890938B2QT
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State: Enabled
    What should my virtual machine settings be to get best possible graphics 3D emulation and response times?
    In settings:
    RAM value?
    One or two virtual processors?
    Hard Disk space GB amount?
    Pre-allocate or split into 2 GB files?
    Any other options to improve performance?
    What should the screen resolution be set at within the Sim application for the screen on the 17in MACBook Pro?

4. Jon

>…release dates for Mac OS X Snow Leopard (thanks, this is VERY helpful for us to know).
    Awesome! Release dates are so nice to know. Speaking of which, how about letting us know a release date for 64-bit SL support, at least experimentally, in Fusion?
    It’s be really nice to test 64-bit SL in the sandbox of a virtual machine rather than dual booting a separate partition!

5. Jason Chartrand

“NOTHING compared to the 20 virtual machines we run at once on a Mac Pro during our stress tests of VMware Fusion”
    I must be doing SOMETHING wrong, because my dual quad MacPro with 6GB RAM CRAWLS along and freezes up if I try to run TWO VMs at the same time…. granted, I’m assigning 2GB and 2 virtual CPUs to each VM, but still …. Do you need to change the setting “Optimize for Mac OS Application Performance”

6. Markus

The older Macbooks support 8GB too, at least the late 2008 ones.. Apple just publicized it more with this version (4GB upgrade costs too bloody much tho)

7. Jos

Out of curiosity, how much of a general performance difference are you seeing between the 9400M card and the 9600GT? Wondering how much of a performance hit my VMs will take running with the lower-end card.
    Thanks!

8. Joseph Hildenbrand

This is simple, I have my own business, my PC crapped out,I switched to an IMac, I loaded VM ware Fusion in it with Windows XP Home, I have two problems, 1) I need to load My info from my WD Hard drive into my windows, I cant see it if I drag it to windows, It fails to load. 2)I get an error message when trying to print ..Serial0:The socket address name for the virtual printer daemon is too long(“/var/Folders/Bw/BwMAyljSG7aVSRTEqDEnwE+++Tl/-Tmp-//vmware-josephhildenbrandhildenbrand/thnuclnt-245/socket”) This device will be disconnected.
    I am quite stressed to find out i can not talk to someone on configuring this or getting to run properly.
    I feel unsupported.Please help. thank you
    in advance Joe

9. james braselton

HI THERE YOU ARE RIGHT THOSE LOOK LIKE REALY COOL GAMING COMPUTERS HAS ANY ONE PLAY GAMES ON A MAC USEING A SSD

10. Simon

I’ve setup fusion and XP SP3 on the new 2009 17″ MBP, but Team Fortress 2 runs really slowly, with either graphics config. What did I do wrong (I was amazed at the smooth installation process with XP – great job!)