Windows 7 on a Mac with VMware Fusion: Some Quick Tips

FinderScreenSnapz002.mov Lots of folks have been tweeting us at @vmwarefusion about how best to run Windows 7 on Mac in VMware Fusion

The upshot is that Windows 7 is not yet a supported guest operating system in VMware Fusion (as opposed to the more than 60 guest OSes that are supported).

However, that doesn’t mean that it can’t run at all.

Windows 7 beta, both 32-bit and 64-bit, is not supported with VMware Fusion, but many VMware product features appear to work well today including Drag and Drop, Unity, and more.  Based on commentary in our VMware Fusion forums, the best experience with Windows 7 beta with Fusion results from the following VMware settings:

– Use the Windows Server 2008 option to create your VM
– Disable 3D Acceleration (Sorry, no Aero support at this time)
– Disabled Shared Folders

We plan to support Windows 7 after it is released.

Please share your experience in the comments below!

Running Windowed - 13

15 thoughts on “Windows 7 on a Mac with VMware Fusion: Some Quick Tips

1. Jeremy Heffner

Thanks for the pointers. I had installed 7 x64 with Vista x64 selected as the type without an problems, but switched it to 2008 and that seems to be working as well.
    I must say that performance is much better than Vista was in VM. I can’t wait to see the Aero interface in action though.

2. KeithRB

I’m running W7 on Fusion without any major problems, including shared files which seems to work OK

3. Keith Wedinger

I’ve been running Windows 7 Ultimate in a VM for about a week now and it is working quite well. I mainly use it for MS Money, Office, and VPN connectivity to my office. I am also using shared folders with no issues. This is what Vista should have been when it was released.

4. Dmitry

I have started testing Windows 7 since previous build – worked fine. Now with Build 7000 – still fine even with “Windows Vista” type and 3D on. Now downloading 64x version and will try.
    As for now, having Office 2007 working on Windows 7 works perfect.

5. John O'Shaughnessy

I installed Windows 7 Beta using the Windows Server 2008 option on my MacBook Pro with 4GB RAM. I’m using it with Office 2007 and a handful of other simple tools for server and network administration. So far, no real problems. I had installed and then deleted Vista since it seemed too slow. Windows 7 feels faster. I haven’t launched my Windows XP Guest in 4 days since everything I need to do is working fine in Windows 7.

6. Fahd

Any timeline on when Aero support is coming? I am running the RTM and would really like to see Aero using the expensive video card I paid for with my 17″ 🙂

7. Jim

Please get aero working.

8. Vijay

Windows 7 is officially out.. i still cant get my aero working… any idea on when Fusion 2 will support aero?

9. ames

I have discovered nirvana! I was able to figure out how to run Win7 with a WiFi connection to my network from within VMFusion 🙂
    the trick seemed to be to inactivate my ethernet option from system preferences/network and then choosing the bridge option on vm fusion using airport

10. Grace Sharon

I have just downloaded Windows 7 but it came in three parts: setup1.box, setup2.box and the Windows 7 Ultimate exe. I notice on your blog that you say to download the ISO product but I didn’t know what that was when I downloaded my full version 7 so I just downloaded the normal product.. I don’t know what to do but I am sure I don’t want to waste $465. Can anyone help me with whether I can use the normal product rather than the ISO and if so, how I might add all the three parts together to enable VM Fusion to make a virtual machine. My apple is going at a snail’s pace at the moment and I am worried downloading the three parts has affected the operation of my Mac. Please can someone answer this asap, please. Thanks Grace.

11. William H. Snyder

I am running Polar ProTrainer 5 on my VM ware virtual machine. Thus far I have been unable to download the information from my heart rate monitor via IR to the pro trainer software. Windows 7 does not acknowledge my USB IR dongle and I don’t know any other way of connecting

12. Bret Godwin

I’m having trouble installing windows 7 as a virtual machine. I have a DVD image file and product key. The install starts and after a few minutes gives an error message “invalid product key”. Not sure how to fix that???

13. uniqueweddingcaketoppers.com

Hi there, this weekend is nice in support of me, as this point in time i am reading
    this wonderful educational piece of writing here at my house.

14. Vanessa

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added”
    checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get three emails with the same
    comment. Is there any way you can remove people from that service?

Thanks!

15. wecaketoppers

JUST SAW THIS TOPIC BY ACCIDENT. NOW IS THE WORLD OF WINDOW 10. HOW TIME FLIES!