The latest deep dive into the SD-WAN landscape is here. IDC MarketScape: Worldwide SD-WAN Infrastructure 2021 Vendor Assessment takes a broad look at the state of the SD-WAN landscape and identifies key vendors in the space.
VMware is positioned as an SD-WAN market leader in the report. Cloud-delivered VMware SD-WAN™ optimizes application performance over any WAN link, simplifies WAN management, and provides security from branches to data centers and cloud locations.
“SD-WAN remains one of the fastest-growing segments of the network infrastructure market due to this technology’s ability to improve user and application experiences, provide integrated connectivity and security, enable seamless connectivity to the cloud and hosted applications, and provide an opportunity for organizations to save money.”IDC MarketScape: Worldwide SD-WAN Infrastructure 2021 Vendor Assessment
IDC research indicates that cloud, SaaS, and edge infrastructure, including SD-WAN, will grow faster than traditional infrastructure. They predict an SD-WAN CAGR of 18.9% through 2025, compared to 18.5% in 2020.
“The need for intelligent, adaptable, and always-on (pervasive) connectivity has become a mandatory requirement for businesses to operate and for people, processes, and things to connect with one another,” according to the IDC report. VMware is solving for this need through a comprehensive, industry-leading, software-defined portfolio that addresses the ongoing digital needs of enterprises and service providers alike.
More about VMware SD-WAN
SD-WAN is a vital networking technology for the newly distributed workforce and a foundational component of secure access service edge (SASE). VMware SD-WAN and VMware SASE™ are accelerating fundamental change at the network edge, tying together multiple clouds, communications service providers, devices, and enterprises with a cohesive infrastructure that features end-to-end intelligence, edge compute, application delivery, and cloud-delivered security based on a zero-trust model.
“VMware, through its acquisition of VeloCloud, has a strong heritage in the SD-WAN space. We believe recognition from reports like the IDC MarketScape validate VMware as a leader for businesses of all sizes. But what got us here won’t get us there. Customers want their security services delivered as seamless as their networking services. That’s why we continue to bolster our VMware SASE offering featuring our SD-WAN capabilities.”Abe Ankumah, vice president of product management, SASE, VMware, in a press release
The IDC report notes several areas where VMware’s market-leading strength is in evidence
- Cloud-based security: As a foundational SASE component, VMware SD-WAN underpins services including VMware Secure Access™ and VMware Cloud Web Security™. Secure Access enables consistent, optimal and secure remote application access in a zero-trust framework. The Cloud Web Security solution includes URL filtering, content filtering, anti-virus, cloud access security broker (CASB) and SSL decryption features that protect users and infrastructure accessing SaaS and Internet applications from a changing landscape of internal and external threats.
- Communications service provider partnerships: VMware solutions including SASE and VMware Edge Compute Stack help communications service providers create a secure, resilient edge with cloud and compute that they can use to build new revenue-generating services. The IDC report notes that “VMware has successfully leveraged communications service providers as an effective go-to-market channel, and VMware’s broader efforts to build management offers for communications SPs beyond SD-WAN, including security and integrated core and RAN services, will make VMware’s SD-WAN even more appealing for communications SPs in the future.”
- Network visibility and analytics: VMware Edge Network Intelligence™ stretches end-to-end across clouds, networks, and endpoint devices to provide a true picture of overall network health. The solution provides visibility into end user and IoT device experience at any location when they access applications in the cloud or in the data center. For the remote workforce, VMware Edge Network Intelligence goes beyond traditional tools to provide insight into home-based workers’ connections, helping enterprise IT with proactive insight and suggestions for how to fix employees’ connection problems.
- Integration strength: VMware SD-WAN naturally integrates well with other VMware management solutions, making it a “strong choice” for existing VMware customers. On its own and as part of VMware SASE, VMware SD-WAN is built on a broad ecosystem and open, extensible architecture. This allows the smooth addition of a wide array of third-party solutions, from analytics to security.
- Remote work solutions: IDC reported that “VMware’s work-from-home solutions, namely Anywhere Workspace, are well-rounded to support remote workers.” VMware SD-WAN and VMware SASE, along with VMware Workspace ONE, are part of VMware Anywhere Workspace solutions. The Anywhere Workspace helps enterprises manage multi-modal employee experiences, secure the distributed edge, and automate workspaces – with the ultimate goal of not just supporting, but delighting enterprise employees when they work from anywhere.
- Want more details about SD-WAN? We wrote the book.
- Get a deep dive into SASE technologies and business strategy in the book Journey into the World of SASE.
- Learn more about VMware SASE and SD-WAN on our website.